6232-38 Germantown Avenue
Eliza Weaver/Enoch Taylor house
Collection, folio 23: "Mrs. Marion Y. Peterson's Home. S Cor
Germantown Road & W. Tulpehocken St." (photograph and text, dated
1890, shows part of the Enoch Taylor house on the
The property was part of the original grant of lot No. 20 to
Aret Klinken and Abraham Op de Graeff. The house was built by
Klincken's descendents in the Johnson family. During the
nineteenth-century the two-and-a-half story house had a variety
of occupants and owners, including naturalist John D. Goodman who
died here in 1830. Samuel and Eliza Weaver were the owners
before Enoch Taylor purchased the property in 1871. Taylor, the
sheriff of Philadelphia, made substantial alterations, including
a new Second Empire style facade, a mansard roof and a porte-
The house was demolished in 1945 and a commercial building erected on the site.
- GHS: Box 11, envelope 2, #82: "Enoch Taylor House,
formerly at 6138 Germantown Ave. (also Dr. John P. Godman's
house)" (print from Glass Negative for "Spaces & Places exhibit,
1980, shows the facade of the house and the porte cochere on the
- GHS: Jellett, Edwin C. "Germantown Historical
Miscellany," p. 330 (photograph).
- GHS: Keyser, Naaman. Manuscript Notes for v. 2 (north of
Chelten), History of Old Germantown, p. 52 (unpublished typewritten notes;
also mentioned as the old Weaver property on p. 51).
- GHS: Photo Scrapbook 5, p. 44: "Enoch Taylor House.
Demolished 1945" (same photograph as found in Box 11, envelope 2,
#82 at GHS).
- HSP: Franklin Fire Insurance Policy 0 13581 (survey with site
plan, for Fallon at 6156 Germantown Avenue.
- HSP: Shoemaker Collection, folio 23: "Mrs. Marion Y.
Peterson's Home. S Cor Germantown Road & W. Tulpehocken St."
(photograph and text, dated
|| Key ||