6143-45 Germantown Avenue
Two old stone houses
Perkins Collection, vol. 61D, p. 75: "No. 6133 [actually 6143]
Germantown Avenue" (photograph of these buildings viewed from
across and down Germantown Avenue).
The two hip-roofed, two and a half story stone houses which
stood on this site date to the colonial period. The lower house
is mentioned in a 1752 deed between cordwainer Paul Engle and his
son, tanner Benjamin Engle. Henry Freas acquired the upper house
in 1832; later he purchased the other house as well, using one as
a dwelling and the other as a store.
In 1913 these buildings were torn down to make way for a movie theater and stores.
- GHS: Keyser, Naaman. History of Old Germantown.
Manuscript notes for v. 2, pp. 58-59 (unpublished typewritten text).
- GHS: Photo Scrapbook 5, p. 15: "Germantown Ave. 1st
three structures at right were demolished when E. Tulpehocken St.
was opened" (photograph similar, but not identical, to that above
from Perkins, vol. 61D, p. 75 at HSP).
Campbell Collection, vol. 35, pp. 6 and 7: "6143-45
Germantown Avenue 1903" (two photographs identical to those found
in Perkins vol. 61D, pp. 75 and 76).
Perkins Collection, vol. 61D, p. 76: "6143 Germantown
avenue" (photograph of front of two houses and of house on curved
and gated lane opposite West Tulpehocken St., before Tulpehocken
Street was opened up; click to view small image or larger image).
- HSP: Shoemaker Collection, folio 12: "N E Side
Germantown Op W Tulpohocken St." (photograph and manuscript text).
|| Key ||