1982 National Register of Historic Places Inventory for
Colonial Germantown Historic District:
"Tulpehocken Theater, 1914, William Hoffman, architect; altered to New Bethel AME Church, c. 1961; extensive alterations 1977, two stories, brick. --- Intrusion."
Bethel A.M.E. Church, organized in 1859, is Germantown's only pre-Civil War African-American church. In 1907 the church occupied a building at Rittenhouse and Morton Streets. In 1961 the congregation acquired the former Tulpehocken Theater, which has since been altered considerably.