Germantown Avenue at Rittenhouse St.
- Old Toll House and Potter Row on Northeast
- The Toll Gate and John Smith House on the Southwest
source of image--is there any image not from
The Germantown and Perkiomen turnpike was finished in 1801. Until
the time the city took over the road in the early 1870's, a toll
booth stood on Germantown road opposite Rittenhouse Street, in
front of a pharmacy in Potter Row adjoining the old Potter-Beck
home (which formerly had a half-door and pent roof). From this
location the last toll keeper, Enos Springer, not only collected
tolls, but also sold everything from sleds and ladders to
chickens and pigeons. Across the street, on the southeast corner
of Germantown and Rittenhouse stood the John Smith house.
All buildings since demolished.
|| Key ||
- HSP: Campbell
Collection, 33:125 and 213: Main (Germantown) and
Rittenhouse: the Old Toll House and Potter buildings on the
northwest side, and the toll gate and the John Smith house on the
other side of Germantown Avenue (3 news clippings, sketch and
- HSP: Perkins
Collection, 61D:36: Old Toll house, Main (Germantown) and
Rittenhouse Streets, and Enos Springer (sketch and handwritten
- HSP: John Richard, Old Landmarks in Germantown and
Vicinity, 125a: "Springer's Tollgate on Main Street below
Centre St." (sketch)
- HSP: Quaint Old Germantown: Sixty Views of Ancient
Landmarks Drawn on Zinc by John Richard 1863-1888 and Collated
by Julius Friedrich Sachse (Philadelphia, 1913), plate XII,
"Old Toll Booth"
- HSP: Thomas H. Shoemaker
Collection, folio 15: Toll gate, Germantown Road opposite
Rittenhouse Street (sketch and handwritten text)