East Rittenhouse and Morton Street
Bethel A.M.E. Church
J. Gordon Baugh
Souvenir of Germantown Issued During the
Fiftieth Anniversary Celebration of the Emancipation
(Philadelphia: Baugh Press, 1913)
Annotated by Louise L. Strawbridge, with the assistance of John
E. Jones, Jr., and reproduced in the Germantown Crier vol.
36, no. 1 (winter, 1983-84), p. 13
Available at the Germantown Historical Society
Included are a photograph, 1913 caption, and annotation by
Louise L. Strawbridge and John E. Jones.
- The 1913 caption:
"Bethel A.M.E. Church, E. Rittenhouse and Morton Sts. Organized
1859. Valuation of property $18,000."
- Annotation by Louise L. Strawbridge and John E. Jones,
"Bethel A.M.E. (today established in a much-altered former movie
theater at Tulpehocken and Germantown) is Germantown's only pre-
Civil War black church, having been organized in 1859. In 1907,
The Philadelphia Colored Directory lists 221 members, a
substantial increase over DuBois's figure of 119 in 1897. At
that time, it stood at Rittenhouse and Morton."
Back to the page for this
|| Key ||