37 West Rittenhouse Street, near Germantown Avenue
Mt. Zion Baptist Church
J. Gordon Baugh
Souvenir of Germantown Issued During the
Fiftieth Anniversary Celebration of the Emancipation
(Philadelphia: Baugh Press, 1913)
Annotated by Louise L. Strawbridge, with the assistance of John
E. Jones, Jr., and reproduced in the Germantown Crier vol.
36, no. 1 (winter, 1983-84), p. 38
Available at the Germantown Historical Society
Included are a photograph, 1913 caption, and annotation by
Louise L. Strawbridge and John E. Jones.
- The 1913 caption:
"Mt. Zion Baptist Church, West Rittenhouse Street, near
Germantown Ave.--Organized 1890, Valuation of Property
- Annotation by Louise L. Strawbridge and John E. Jones,
"Mt. Zion owed much of its financial existence to the generosity
of John S. Trower. Its first pastor, the Reverend M. Winston,
served the church from 1890 to 1927. Himself a stonemason, he
also helped construct the building--from stone supplied by
William Byrd, the Superintendent of the Sunday School and
Chairman of the Board of Trustees."
Back to the page for this
|| Key ||