Included are images and text:
The 1848 resolution for the construction of "a lock-up or town hall which shall embrace the following compartments: First story, lockup and rooms for offices, etc; second story, large hall for general uses; third story, hall for council, societies, tec." The cell rooms were later torn out and the lower floor was used for the office of the Water Bureau and the gas office. The large hall upstairs was used as a community center, its stage used for occasional concerts, and candidates of all parties addressed the public there.
Back to the page for this location
|| Home || Germantown || Addresses || Texts || Maps || Key ||