Included are unpublished typewritten notes:
"This street was opened by 'Quaker Bob Thomas,' and was formerly called Centre Street. In opening the street, it became necessary to remove a small house that belonged to Anna Kulp.
"Joseph Murter, who was born in 1815, remembers that when he was a small boy there was a lumber yard on this site, and that the little house mentioned as having been torn down in opening East Rittenhouse Street was then used as the office..Proprieter was John Lumkins, who also kept the tollgate at one time." (5829 was in 1840 the residence of Jacob Culp who did cupping and leeching).
Back to the page for this location
|| Home || Germantown || Addresses || Texts || Maps || Key ||