6027-29 Germantown Avenue

Naaman Keyser, Manuscript Notes for v. 2 (north of Chelten), History of Old Germantown, p. 46
Germantown Historical Society

Included are unpublished typewritten notes:

"6027-29 (Hotchkin, and Shoemaker, 5073)
"Site of a small house and shop that in 1809 was occupied by John Engle, tailor. The last occupant was a shoemaker named John Francis. During Jackson's administration The Germantown Post Office was situated here. This was very inconvenient for the citizens generally, but the cause of its unfortunate location was a rather singular one. When the postmaster was removed and Thomas McDowell appointed in his place, the change was so unpopular that no one would rent the new incumbent a suitable place. He was therefore compelled to use the little shop adjoining his house for the post office.

"The property was once owned by Dr. Christopher Witt, who, at his death, left it to the Warmers for whom he had a great affection.

"Two brick houses now stand upon the site, one of which is occupied by the Philadelphia Musical Academy."

Back to the page for this location

|| Home || Germantown || Addresses || Texts || Maps || Key ||