Included are unpublished typewritten notes:
"6200 (Old number, 5150)
"On the upper corner of Tulpehocken Street formerly stood an old log house, one and a half stories high, that was occupied at one time by a very intelligent colored man and his wife, by the name of John and Lucy Douglass."
"Their garden is remembered as having been a perfect bower of roses and other flowers, which they took great delight in keeping in the best condition. Those who remember the house as long ago as 1840 say that it was a very old house at that time, certainly dating back over a century. It is probably the house to which Mr. Joshua R. Johnson makes reference as standing in 1812, and as being at that time a mere hut made of logs plastered between. (Hotchkin, p. 323.) It was torn down when Tulpehocken Street was opened.
"The present building was erected by William Benner in 1840. In 1851 it was owned by J. Engle, and was occupied by Charles W. Bolton, a dealer in patent medicine."
Back to the page for this location
|| Home || Germantown || Addresses || Texts || Maps || Key ||