The 1871 Germantown Atlas shows the "Wash Fire Co. No. 5" on the north side of East Haines Street across from nos. 22-24. The Washington Engine Company had been founded in 1764. In about 1840 this company had been housed in a small frame building on the corner of Wyck and what is now West Walnut Lane. Note that in 1917 Fire Insurance Patrol No. 4 would move into quarters on the south side of East Haines Street adjacent to the Methodist Church/Harmer School site.