Old Methodist Meeting House
East Haines Street, south side, near Germantown Avenue
"The Old Methodist Meeting House & Infant School. On
Methodist Lane, Now E Haines St, Lower Side."
Collection, folio 21:
This one-and-a-half story stone building was constructed in 1804
as the first Methodist church in Germantown. It was built on
land which had belonged to Jacob and Dorothy Reger, members of
the congregation. The Regers'
residence, vinegar distillery and
grocery store were adjacent to the church on Haines Street and on
In 1829 the Methodists built a new, larger
church a few doors up the lane. The original meeting house
was then used as the Germantown Infant School until the mid-1880s
when kindergartens and public schools took over the role of
educating young children of poor families.
The congregation moved again in 1898, this time building the First Methodist Church on the corner of
Germantown Avenue and High Street. The cemetery was dismantled
in 1904 to make way for additions to the YMCA. The original meeting house itself no longer
- GHS: Box 11, envelope 5: "The first Methodist Church now
a School" (photograph of original wash and ink drawing in John
Richards' sketchbook, p. 30).
- GHS: Jellett, Edwin C. "Germantown Historical
Miscellany," p. 250 (text).
- GHS: (L1-11) Keyser, N.H. Germantown Scrapbook, pp.59-
61 (newsclippings on Methodist Church on Haines Street).
- GHS: Keyser, Naaman. Manuscript Notes for v. 2 (north of
Chelten), History of Old Germantown, pp. 32-33 (unpublished typewritten
- GHS: Photo Scrapbook 2, George Clarence Johnson,
"Pictorial Germantown Road..," pp. 88-89 (text and images).
- GHS: Richards, John.
Landmarks in and about Germantown, [1863-89], p. 30: "The
first Methodist Church, now a School. Haines" (ink and wash
Campbell Collection includes:
- vol. 33, p. 151: Feb. 10, 1911 newsclipping
(with text and image) about the purchase of the old Methodist
Church property to accommodate an addition to the YMCA.
- vol. 33, p. 186: "Desolate Cemetery to be
Dismantled" (1904 news
article and photo).
- HSP: Perkins Collection, vol. 62:
- p. 41-42: Old Methodist Meeting House and Reger
property on Haines Street (images and manuscript text).
- p. 43: "Dedication of A.C. Harmer School" (December
1903 news article with images and text).
Richards, John. Old Landmarks in
Germantown and Vicinity, 44a: "The old Schoolhouse, formerly
the first Methodist Church" (ink and wash drawing).
- HSP: Shoemaker Collection, folio 21: "The Old
Methodist Meeting House & Infant School" (manuscript text with the above
|| Key ||