Fire Insurance Patrol headquarters
East Haines Street, the former rectory of the First Methodist Church
Campbell Collection (Compiled by Jane Campbell, circa 1900-1910), vol. 33, p. 211
Historical Society of Pennsylvania
Included in the September 4, 1917 newsclipping are the above photograph of the building with the following caption and article.
"This house at Haines street, near Germantown avenue, today will be formally occupied as new headquarters by the company. Officers are shown just after the new truck had been tested. In the picture are Superintendent Shermer, Captain Hickman and Lieutenant Wyatt."
"New Insurance Patrol Home, Germantown, Opens
Big House Warming Will Be Held at Quarters on October 4."
"The new headquarters for Fire Insurance Patrol No. 4 at Haines street near Germantown avenue opened today. There will be a corps of twelve men...
"An inspection of the quarters was made by Superintendent of Fire Insurance Patrols Joseph H. Shermer, and he pronounced everything top-top, including the new $5,000 two-ton truck.
"The district covered by Patrol No. 4 will be west to Manayunk, north to City Line, south to Allegheny avenue and east to Frankford.
"A housewarming for the new quarters will be held on October 4, the anniversary of the Battle of Germantown. The new home was once the old Chadwick homestead and later was the rectory for the First Methodist Episcopal Church of Germantown."
Back to the page for this location
|| Home || Germantown || Addresses || Texts || Maps || Key ||