Sketches, photograph, newsclipping and handwritten text,
Newsclipping dated March 31, 1905:
"Work was begun this week on new foundations for the old Engle house...the occupants of the historic structure having decided to move it about fifty feet back from Main street.
"erected 1758...possession of the family to present time...tanners on Honey Run...now a sewer...
"All the old woodwork has been retained in the inside of the house, and the iron-bound chests of the early emigrants of the family are still preserved."
"This house was erected in 1758 by Benjamin Engle. It is now owned by Mrs. Belle Shipley, a great-great-granddaughter. In the rear of the house the family for many years had a tannery, which was the last of the many successful tanneries in Germantown, but for forty years it has been closed and within the past few years the old buildings have been torn down. All the woodwork has been retained in the inside of the house, and the iron bound chests of the early emigrants of the family are still preserved. The name of the ancestor of the family, Paul Engle, is on the oldest marked stone in the graveyard at Skippack, dated 1723."
Back to the page for this location
|| Home || Germantown || Addresses || Texts || Maps || Key ||