6043 Germantown Avenue
Shippen-Blair House (The Laurens)
Perkins Collection (Compiled by Helen C. Perkins, 1900-1909), volume 61D, page 70
Historical Society of Pennsylvania

Photograph (view from the south, see also Campbell, vol. 35, p. 2) and manuscript text:

"No. 6043 Germantown avenue. - The 'Laurens' formerly Blair Academy"

"Here was started the first manual training school in Philadelphia. The Rev. George Junkin was the principal of the school. He was an old-school Presbyterian, with an abundance of energy and practical ability. The academical work was confined to the large building, the manual training department being conducted in a number of frame annexes on the side and in the rear. At one time as many as 150 students attended. The school was not as successful as anticipated and Dr. Junkin accepted the Presidency of Lafayette College at Easton in 1832. He took with him his professors and nearly all the students of the school. His system was a new departure at Lafayette, but it was successful. It has been contended that the manual training school at Germantown was the beginning of the success of Lafayette College.

"It is now a boarding house, in 1901."

Back to the page for this location

|| Home || Germantown || Addresses || Texts || Maps || Key ||