Included are photo, manuscript text, newsclipping and illustration from old photo (see also Campbell, vol. 33, p. 181 in HSP):
"It was built about 1796 by Daniel Pastorious. It then stood on the Main street (Germantown Avenue), next to the Morris-Littell House, with only a carriage drive separating them. When High street was opened it was moved some fifty feet northward, and a few years ago it was moved once more to its present location. Some thirty years ago Dr. Dunton tore down the old Pastorious house, which formerly stood between his house and no. 6019 Main st. and used the stone in building the rear wing of this house. Dr. Dunton carved over his doorway the Latin motto 'Procul este profani,' which Whittier says was carved over Pastorius' door. In the rear, almost adjoining the church, is an old building formerly a Pastorious farm house. The doorway which is a particularly handsome one, was formerly in one of the Bensell houses on the Main street above School Lane, torn down to make way for the Germantown National Bank."
"The modest house of Pastorious, at what is now Main and High streets, is seen to the left of the illustration, made from a photograph in the possession Dr. Naaman H. Keyser. The larger house to the right was erected about 100 years later, in 1796, by his great-grandson, Daniel Pastorious. Both these are now superseded by the First Methodist Church.
"Pastorious died on February 27, 1719, and was buried in an unmarked grave, so that now none know where he lies."
Back to the page for this location
|| Home || Germantown || Addresses || Texts || Maps || Key ||