YMCA/Former Presbyterian Church on Germantown Avenue,
Thomas H. Shoemaker Collection, folio 19
Historical Society of Pennsylvania
Included are a photograph and a page of manuscript text, dated 1890:
"Young Men's Christian Association Hall.
E side Germantown Road below Haines St."
"This building, 5021 Main Street (old numbering system, Germantown Avenue), was formerly the First Presbyterian Church but when they moved to Chelton Ave. and this property offered for sale, it was purchased by the Y.M.C.A. largely through the liberality of their President, Wm. Adamson who furnished the bulk of the money. The old graveyard of the Church is still in the rear. The Association was formed Jan. 9, 1871 and occupied the second story of no. 4767 Main St. (on Market Square) from which they moved to their hall in 1873."
Back to the page for this location
|| Home || Germantown || Addresses || Texts || Maps || Key ||