HSP: Shoemaker Collection, folio 14: "The Green Tree Tavern. Germantown Road ab High St." (John Richards zinc lithograph, dated 1875, includes the large barn in the rear as well as the tavern).
Also included in the Shoemaker Collection are a woodcut, photographs, and manuscript text.
Folio 14 includes these images:
Manuscript text dated 1888 found in folio 14:
"This house was built by a Pastorius, a relative of Francis Daniel Pastorius, in 1743 and adjoined the original Pastorius property now Dr. Dunton's Main & High Sts. The letters D.S.P. are still on a stone under the eaves, being the initials of Daniel and Sarah Pastorious. The date on the stone is 1748. In 1775 John Livezey sold it to Andrew Heath, and it is likely somewhere about this time Charles Macknett rented it, as it became famous as the Green Tree Tavern under his administration, certain it is that in 1797 he purchased it from Heath.
"The battle of Germantown extended down to it; Dr. Lambdin in his address on the 100th anniversary clearly followed Gen. Wayne through the fog & smoke to its door. In 1820 Macknett deeded it to Charles Macknett Pastorious. In 1838 the last named and wife deeded it to Jno. D. Wells and he & wife in 1854 to Jno. Longstreth, two days it passed to Humphrey Atherton then to John D. Wells who sold it to G. W. Carpenter. In Macknett's time the neighbors called the place the 'Hornets Nest'...
"Mrs. Macknett was a Pastorious and a noted cook, and the house was the resort of eminent Philadelphians, and in winter of sleighing parties. When LaFayette was in Germantown he dined here, and Miss Ann Chew at the age of 16 presided. In repairing the old mansion, the present owner Dr. Alexis DuPont Smith states an antique slipper was found under the floor of the third story...The slipper comes to a perfect point in front and is sadly dilapidated.
"The old house with its pent roof has enormous joists and the workmen brought to light the old nails of wrought iron beaten out by hand. The oak laths were split by hand.
"Gen. Washington is believed to have stayed in this house. T. Westcott in his history of Phila calls it the Pastorius house."
Back to the page for this location
|| Home || Germantown || Addresses || Texts || Maps || Key ||