Included in the Shoemaker Collection are:
"When Mr. John C. Fallon opened W. Tulpehocken St. he determined to put a hydraulic ram on Paper Mill Run to supply the Houses on the street. Finding, however, an abundance of water his plans were changed and a Water Company formed, a dam, engine house and stand-pipe built (see their pictures) and on the south corner of Main & Tulpehocken Sts. the small rough cast building, whose picture we have, was erected for an office. As the ground sloped away in the rear of it, a basement served for a tool and storage room, the upper floor, on a level with the Main St. being the Company's general office. Beekman Potter was head man, probably called Treasurer and lived at 18 Tulpehocken St. The works were completed in 1853 and continued as a private corporation until 1866 when the City purchased the distribution. In 1872 the old works were abandoned and connection made with Flat Rock Dam Works. About this time the old office was abandoned and, a few years later, the building was sold to Mrs. M. Y. Peterson, who lived in the house adjoining, and who turned it into a stable, which humble duty it continues to perform."
Back to the page for this location
|| Home || Germantown || Addresses || Texts || Maps || Key ||