Included are photograph, site plan and text including the following information:
"Describe the present and original (if known) physical
"The Germantown Mennonite Church is a stone building constructed in 1770 to replace the original log meeting house erected in 1708 on the same site. In 1908 an addition was built to the meeting house, and in 1952 the interior of the church was restored to its colonial simplicity.
"The original meeting house is 30'1" wide and 35'6" long. There is no cellar, but a ventilated air space was provided under the floor. Two trusses of wood support the simple gabled roof covered with shingles. The bottom chord is an 8 by 8 inch timber bolted with metal to the king posts. The outside eaves cornice is built up of wood, 15 " high and projecting 18", with bed moulds and a crown member. The raking cornice on the gables is similar but without a bed mould.
"Five cement steps lead to the entrance doorway in the center of the gable and which faces the street. The two-fold door is 3'10" wide and 8'5" high, with a plain casing and a pediment over it. All of the members are held with wooden pegs. Each door has two raised panels on the outside, while the inside is built of flush vertical planks. The doors are equipped with the original wrought-iron hardware, strap hinges, top and bottom bolts, and a box lock.
"The interior has plastered walls and a plaster ceiling fastened to the bottom chords of the trusses. The ceiling height is 11'8". The meeting room is wainscoted with vertical flush boards to about the sill of the windows.
"Six double-hung windows with similar sash light the church room. Each one is 3'3" wide and 5'9" high, with 24 lights arranged 12 over 12. The muntins are 1 1/8" to the glass. The windows have wooden exterior sills and wooden shutters, flush on both sides, all supplied with wrought-iron strap hinges, bolts, pins, and catches. The insides of the windows have moulded wood trim, splayed wood jambs, and aprons finishing over the wainscot.
"The room has a center aisle leading to the speaker's platform. On either side of the aisle are eight wooden benches about 2'4" back to back. They are without cushions or arm rests, but they have a horizontal plank at shoulder height and a book shelf. One of the pews from the original log church is still in use as is the communion table. This wooden table with a moulded top, turned splayed legs, and moulded stretchers near the floor, is 2' 2 5/8" wide and 2'10" long.
"To the south and east of the meeting house is the graveyard."
Back to the page for this location
|| Home || Germantown || Addresses || Texts || Maps || Key ||