143 West Walnut Lane
Conyers Button House
Pennsylvania Historic Resource Survey Form (dated 1983)
Office of Historic Preservation, PA Historical & Museum Commission, Harrisburg, PA
Available at the Philadelphia Historical Commission

Included with the above photograph are a site plan and text including the following information:

Constructed c. 1875 of local stone with wood trim. Originally a residence, now a school.

Property owners name and address:
The Green Tree School
143 W. Walnut Lane
Philadelphia PA 19144

Brief description:
"This 3-story building presents its main gable end to the street. A polygonal bay with a conical roof is carried into the gable which is ornamented by a carved verge board. The overhanging third story rests on the exposed beams and is decorated with wood framing in an allusion to half-timbering. Beneath this on each side of the bay is a double-hung window headed by a segmental pediment executed in wood. On the first story is a mid-20th century brick addition. The main elevation is the side one, where the driveway passes under hipped roof porte-cochere supported by wood columns on stone bases. Two large gables intersect the main roof ridge and shelter the overhanging third story. Between them is a 2-story projecting polygonal bay. A continuous stone belt course forms the lintels of the windows in the bay and is capped by a frieze of festoons and garlands. The main entrance is through an enclosed vestibule under the port cochere, preserving privacy by facing away from the street. Construction is of stone with wooden base and trim. The side bay is of buff brick and the modern addition is red brick."

History, significance, and background:
"This house appears to have been built shortly before the turn of the century when the property was sold to Joseph Priestly Button. This is corroborated by the architecture which is a good example of late-19th century eclecticism. A profusion of styles are represented: the French Renaissance is suggested by the segmental pediments, Tudor Gothic is recalled by the half- timbering of the gable story while the ornamental festoons and garlands are related to the Colonial Revival. The combination of these forms is accomplished here skillfully and harmoniously, evidence for the presence of one of Philadelphia's better domestic architects. The house also demonstrates the flexibility of Germantown residences in providing space for modern institutions through adaptive use. As the Green Tree School it continues to serve the local community."

Sources of information:
Philadelphia Deed: 49 N 24, 13
Hopkins, City Atlas of Philadelphia. v. 1 22nd Ward 1876.

Back to the page for this building.

|| Home || Germantown || Addresses || Texts || Maps || Key ||