Included with the above photograph are a site plan and text including the following information:
Italian Villa constructed c. 1860 of stucco over rubble with wood trim, modified c. 1890.
Property owners name and address:
149 W. Walnut Lane
Philadelphia PA 19144
"The collision of the mid-century, simple republican values of the Italian Villa with the capitalist individualism of the post Centennial era are in evidence in this house. A conventional three-story, stucco, Italianate house, with paired round-headed windows was 'modernized' with a massive bracketed porch, with a pedimented central doorway, clusters of columns, and Japanese- influenced porch rail panels. Similar bracketed canopies were added to the second story windows, leaving only the third floor untouched."
History, significance, and background:
"The ongoing success of Germantown into the late 19th-century is apparent from the renovation of old buildings as well as the construction of new. This is particularly amusing the contrast between conventional old and original new being so great. The two phases remain largely intact with the principal change the condition of the grounds."
Back to the page for this building.
|| Home || Germantown || Addresses || Texts || Maps || Key ||