The first sewer in Germantown ran on West Rittenhouse between Germantown Avenue and the stream known as Honey Run which ran parallel to Germantown Avenue. The sewer was constructed by the contractor Samuel Collum.
In the adjoining meadow was a pump yard. However the pump making industry declined after local residents were able to get a good supply of spring water from the water works on Tulpehocken Street.
For many years the Germantown Gas Company had buildings on the north side of Rittenhouse on the banks of Honey Run. These buildings were still standing as late as 1913, although they were no longer used by the gas company.