Gothic Revival stone church designed by David Gendell and constructed in 1893. Single gabled roof sheltering a center and two side aisles. Pointed gothic windows along the side of the nave. Facade includes a centered door flanked by paired gothic windows, as well as small rose window and other gothic windows above. The apex of the front gable includes a checkerboard pattern of stone recalling the Richardson interlude.
Mt. Zion Baptist Church was organized by African-Americans in 1890. The construction of this building was accomplished by local African-Americans. John Trower, a prominent caterer and one of the wealthiest blacks in Pennsylvania, provided financial assistance. The stone was supplied by William Byrd, a Sunday School superintendent and Chair of the Board of Trustees. The first pastor, the Reverend M. Winston was himself a stonemason and helped construct the building.