62 West Rittenhouse Street
Zion Evangelical/St. Barnabas Episcopal/Mt. Tabor Baptist Church
"1-- W. Rittenhouse Street, St. Barnabas Church
Photograph from the Philadelphia Historical Commission
This church, built 1849, is among the earliest buildings
based on St. James the Less, the first true Gothic Revival
building in this country. The stone building includes a simple
gable facade, fronted by a low pointed, arched stone entrance.
Other architectural details include pairs of gothic windows on
the side flanks and a small bell-cote on the roof.
St. Barnabas Episcopal Church, organized by white Episcopalians
to serve African-Americans in Germantown, acquired this stone
building (the former Zion Evangelical Church) in 1904. The
church later became Mt. Tabor Baptist Church.
- GHS: Baugh, J. Gordon. Souvenir of Germantown, p.
14 (photograph and text
about St. Barnabas Church).
- GHS: Jellett, Edwin C. "Germantown Historical
Miscellany," p. 232: "Old Poor House Lane" (news article written October 8, 1898
- PHC: Mt. Tabor Baptist Church, 62 West Rittenhouse
Street, Pennsylvania Historic Resource Survey Form, May 17, 1983
(text, site plan and photograph).
|| Key ||