1. Old Jolly Post
p. 27: "The Jolly Post. -- The Pennsylvania Chronicle (March 14, 1768), has an advertisement of the sale of the Jolly Post in Oxford township, calling it 'THE NOTED INN near Frankford,' with 'about twenty-five acres of land, about eight of which are well timbered, a young thriving orchard, with about two hundred apple trees,' and 'a well of good water.' ... The Frankford Herald (March 11, '93), contained a long description, here condensed, of this ancient hostelry, which has stood over a century and a half. The northern portion of the building is the ancient part. A garden once adorned the rear of the hotel, where flowers and shrubs and box, woodbine and sweet briar could be seen from cosy [sic] arbors ... The old road to the city ran by the Womrath place, and the brick house where Henry Drinker had his summer home, afterward known as Weisman's Hotel. The property was a portion of 750 acres deeded to Penn by Henry Waddy, called Waddy's Grange."
2. The Allen House
p. 29: "In Lafayette's visit in A. D., 1824, a grand reception was given to him here. On the straggling village street stood the fine old Allen House, and the stone mansion yet dignifies the upper part of Main Street."
3. The Old Summer House
p. 17: "The striking feature of the grounds is an old but well-preseved and strongly-built summer-house. It is an octagon, with octagonal roof surrounded by a balustrade, while an ornamental finial crows the centre. It is a remarkable and stylish building of an old fashion, seldom seen to-day. A little piazza encircles it, having circular pillars to uphold the roof. It is painted white and stands on a pleasant eminence. It is not a mere arbor, but entirely enclosed and has six glass windows. The sides are ceiled with wood and the top is plastered. There is an ornamented cornice, and the two doors opposite each other are paneled. It is an interesting antique, and Washington is said to have taken tea here, where in the Womrath's day children have followed his example."
4. Residence of William Huckel
p. 23: "The Huckel House, Frankford -- The Huckel House is perhaps one of the oldest of the quaint stone residences of the Colonial period that graced old Bristol Pike where it ran through the ancient borough of Frankford and formed its principal street. The house still remains in fairly good condition, although the modern demands of trade have claimed the lower floor for shop purposes and other buildings have encroached on both sides, and occupied the place where once bloomed an old-fashioned garden with its rows of well-trimmed box and its flaunting holly-hocks. The house stands on the west side of the street nearly opposite the old Presbyterian Church."
5. Residence of Robert Huckel
p. 24: "[William Huckel's] two sons Samuel and Robert continued to reside in Frankford and were closely identified with the growth and history of the town."
6. The Old French Academy
p. 24: "It was in 1830 that [Samuel and Robert Huckel] purchased the old French Academy that stood on Paul Street, nearly opposite the quaint public Market House, and arranged it for the use of a house of worship above and, strangely enough, the village jail beneath. Both of these buildings have long since been removed. The Market House is replaced by the Police Station and Gas Office, and on the site of the old Academy stands the present commodious structure of the Paul Street Church."
7.Entrance to Cedar Hill Cemetery
p. 37: "Cedar Hill Cemetery (By H. St. Clair Thorn, Secretary). -- These beautiful grounds occupy a triangular tact of twelve acres, bounded by the Bustleton and Bristol Turnpike Roads and Dark Run Lane in Oxford township ... These grounds are beautifully laid out and have been adorned with a handsome entrance and an ornamental residence for the superintendent. Many beautiful and costly monuments have been erected, shade trees planted, and the entire tract surrounded by a neat iron fence. A special fund is retained by the company as a guarantee for keeping the grounds in order forever."
p. 50: "Wissinoming. -- This fine country seat was long the summer home of Mathias W. Baldwin, who loved to beautify it. Extensive grounds lie in the rear of the mansion, and a summer house stood on the river bank. The front lawn is pleasantly shaded with trees. The building has been purchased for the blessed purpose of an Old Ladies' Home, and is doing a good work which would delight its former benevolent owner ... There was a farm house here, and Mr. Baldwin bought it accidentally, having driven out to look at it with a friend who thought of purchasing. The friend did not care about it, when he examined it, but Mr. Baldwin admired the fine trees and made an offer to the owner so much lower than the asking price that he had no idea it would be accepted, but -- a few days later -- he was surprised by being told he could have the farm for the amount he had proffered. He used the old foundations and kept a portion of the original farm house, in one of the wings."
9. Music Hall.
No description available.
10-11. Church of the Holy Innocents
p. 63: "The Episcopal Church of the Holy Innocents ... On March 5th, 1868, the parish was organized. Services continued in the old railroad depot. On Sept. 29th, of this year the corner stone of the church was laid. Oct. 31st, 1869, was the date of the first service in the church."
12. The Disston Memorial Church
p. 67: "The Disston Memorial Church. -- The Disston Memorial Church was founded by Mrs. Henry Disston, in memory of her husband and her daughter, Mrs. Mary Gandy. It is a handsome brown-stone building on a commanding eminence called the Mount."
13. The Tacony Baptist Church
p. 71: "A contract was immediately entered into with John Enochs, a builder, to build a frame chapel 18 x 30 ft., 14 ft. square, with vestibule and tin roof, the whole to be complete, except painting. The sides to be white pine boards battened for $312, to be completed in twenty days, and paid for in sixty days. This contract was fully carried out. A few of the brethren painted it. The Holmesburg Church furnished the seats, and the Lower Dublin Church furnished matting for the aisle. The mission procured an organ and window shades amounting to $75. Brother N. W. Taylor and his brother secured the book-case and the pulpit chairs, and a boy, but four years of age, C. H. Wilson, of Holmesburg, gave the pulpit Bible ... Early in the spring the mission had developed to such a degree that it seemed necessary to provide for a permanent and larger place of worship ... On May 12th, 1884, ground was broken, Deacon M. R. Longacre turning the first sod. On Saturday, June 21st, 1884, the corner stone was laid ... In March, 1885, Mr. Enoch Sinclair and friends of Philadelphia presented the handsome chandeliers and other gas fixtures that now adorn the church, and on Thursday May 21st, 1885, the new church was formally opened for worship ... In Nov. 1885, heaters were placed in the church. Deacon Johnson placed a memorial window in the church in memory of his daughter, the first originator of the mission. The church is built half brick, upper portion tiles, roof slate, surmounted with bell-tower, though there is no bell yet, electric lights and gas are used in the church.
14. Magnolia Cemetery
p. 81: "The burial place is on Saltar's Lane, between Tacony and Wissinoming, on high undulating ground enclosed by forest trees."
15. The Edwin Forrest Home
p. 82: "The Edwin Forrest Home. -- This property was called Spring Brook, and it was the country seat of David Lewis. Mr. Gibbs bought it, and built the Forrest Mansion ... Mr. Willits notes that Caleb Cope when he owned Spring Brook 'converted it into a paradise of blooming plants from every clime.' ... Mr. Forrest intended this place to be an ornament, and to be a useful resort for the public ... Josiah W. Gibbs erected the mansion here, and he owned 'a large part of the stock of the Pennypack Print Works.' ...The ample grounds of the Forrest Home make a fine lawn, in which stands the large yellow three-storied mansion, surmounted by an observatory, with beautiful trees in front. The Bristol Turnpike runs along the property ... This place has the name of Spring Brook from a crystal spring which traverses the grounds."
p. 89: "The Stokes place was sold by George W. Holme to Wm. E. Bowen, of Brown, Bowen & Co., bankers, who built 'the fine stone mansion on it about 1855. It was purchased by Robert DeSilver (who had made a large fortune in China) about the beginning of the war.'"
17. Residence of George S. Clark
p. 94: "Residence of George S. Clark, Esq. -- The residence of George S. Clark, Esq., on Decatur Street, is a very pleasant one, with a fine shaded lawn in front of it. The building was moved from Delaware Avenue so as to face Decatur Street."
p. 102: "This place was named by a continuation of the first syllables of the two names of sons of the owner, Wm. B. Wilsom, Wallace and Donald. The house is on Decatur Street between that of S. C. Pursell ... and George S. Clark, Esq. The ground was purchased of A. V. Gentry, and the dwelling was erected in A. D., 1888. The architect was R. Vasquez. The building was constructed above the ground, so that the cellar is above the surface of the earth, and well lighted and ventilated. The house is constructed on sanitary principles and it is devoutly to be wished that all may imitate so good an example. We do not eat poison and should not breathe it. A good cellar is more account than a fine parlor. Jacob Wenzelberger of Bridesburg, was the builder of this mansion. The first story is of mottled blue and gray stone from Stockton, New Jersey. The second story is of frame, in the Queen Anne style. A round tower rises from one corner of the building, giving diversity."
19. Residence of Joseph H. Brown
p. 111: "His son, Joseph H. Brown, was born in Philadelphia, January 26, 1847, and resides in Holmesburg."
20. Residence of Mrs. Joseph Brown
p. 112: "Mrs. Brown built this fine residence as is noted in S. C. Willit's Manuscript."
21. Crystal Springs
p. 116: "We soon reach Crystal Springs, the residence of Colonel James Lewis, which is situated on a conspicuous eminence, overlooking the town of Holmesburg, the historic Pennypack Creek, and the surrounding country. It derives its name from the never-failing spring flowing from beneath the high ledge of rock underlying the hill on which the residence stands. The house is a large doublestone mansion, very substantially built, with piazzas on every side, typical of the style of architecture in vogue fifty years ago. It was built by James Pierson in A. D., 1855, who married a daughter of Paul Crispin, who occupied it as an [sic] hotel and summer boarding house, until it was sold ... The lawn sloping from the house to creek studded with grand old trees, many of them of primeval growth, adds greatly to the remarkable natural beauty of the place. The gateway with its large stone posts is a striking introduction to the grounds."
22. The Washington House
p. 122: "[John Risdon] owned the Washington Hotel property, and for years maintained a line of stages between Holmesburg and Philadelphia."
23. Bellevue Farm
p. 130: "This beautiful place is the property of George T. Mills, who purchased it in 1884 of George S. Clark, Esq. The grandfather of this gentlemen, named George Clark, bought the farm of Joseph E. Gillingham, in 1840. Mr. Gillingham built the mansion in 1828. The old deeds date back as far as 1750. A fine lawn with shade trees is in front of the house. The building is of stone, plastered, with a front piazza and dormer windows in the attic. It stands with the gable toward the road. The present frame farm-house occupied the site of this mansion, but it has been moved to the rear ... The term Bellevue is rightly applied to this place, as it is on a hill which commands a beautiful view of Holmesburg and the surrounding country. Rolling hills rise on every side. The farm covers over two hundred acres."
24. Echo Villa
p. 133: "Echo Villa. -- An echo gives this quaint name an appellation of the Outerbridge family to this country seat of H. H. Barton, who purchased it in 1877. The position on the hill side is striking, and the curving creek at the base of the eminence on which the mansion is erected adds beauty to the scene. Two wind-mills for raising water are pleasant breaks in the landscape. The rolling ground on the other side of the Pennypack makes a pleasant view."
p. 137: "This country seat, on its high knoll, is on a tact of seventy-five acres, which was the Solley farm. Gray stones and shingles are the materials of this extensive mansion. George T. Pearson, of Philadelphia was the architect."
26. Residence and Store of A. V. Gentry
p. 141: "Rev. George Sheets owned the property on which this store and the adjoining house stands, the land extending back from Bristol Pike to Holme Avenue. A school stood in the rear of this property in old times on the land now belonging to Charles Christ. A. V. Gentry ... The property was bought of the late Mrs. John Murray. There were two old stone houses, two story and a half high, on the premises, with frame kitchens in the rear. In 1889 Mr. Gentry nearly demolished the houses, and erected a new dwelling and a store, both of brick. The house is a cosy [sic] mansion with a piazza and a bay window in each of the three stories. Romule Vasquez was the architect, and the work is done with good taste."
27. Emmanuel Church
p. 145: "It was at first a Chapel of Ease of All Saints', Lower Dublin ... A chapel was built in 1831 and 1832 ...Benjamin Crispin, Jacob Wagner and Enoch Lott were the builders ... In 1857, a parish school was established. The Misses Lardner, Mrs. Ann W. Glen, Mrs. Elizabeth Fisher, and others taught. In 1879, this good seed bore fruit in a beautiful new parish building of brown stone ... In 1857 Alfred Enoch and George G. Wagner were authorized to take down the old church and begin the construction of a new one, and the worship was conducted in the school-room ... The next year the church was finished, being used first for worship on Sunday, July 4th, A. D., 1858. The building is of brown stone, with a slated roof and is a fine edifice on a high and commanding site. The children presented the stone font. The ladies collected the money to furnish the church; and chancel, books and chairs and the Holy Altar were gifts ... On 'July 11th, 1879, St. Barnabas day, the corner stone of the new parish building was laid by the Rt. Rev. Bishop Stevens'...In closing the sketch, I add that new organ has lately been procured from Hook & Hastings, of a fine character, and the walls of the church have been recolored."
28. The Old Mill
p. 158: "The Old Mill. -- Samuel C. Willits, in one of his interesting historical communications to the Holmesburg News, gives an account of the old mill, and a picture accompanies the article. We will draw information from it. It is stated that this is the oldest grist mill west of New England, and the second in this country. It was built in 1697 by the Swedes, and remained in almost constant action, employing machinery in accordance with the times, until 1880, when the wood-work was all burnt out and the machinery ruined, the walls remaining standing upright and solid, and averaging a foot in thickness. Over the front entrance is an old stone bearing the date of its erection, and the old race continues to empty its waters into the mill, forming a cascade over broken machinery and wrecked millstones. In its infancy and for years it was the only available mill for the inhabitants of New Jersey about Bridgeport and neighboring towns. Hence, all corn and grain from over the river was brought in boats up the Pennypack, and the boats came up to the side of the mill, which was then possessed of a waterway, since filled up."
29. The Toll-Gate
p. 164: "The Toll-Gate. -- The ancient bridge and toll-gate were old neighbors, and the toll-house looked to the bridge and the travelers for its support; but since the turnpike has become free it has been demolished ... The patch of ground at the side of toll-gates where a little garden or a carriage house was squeezed into a small space, may be noted as a marked feature of such places."
p. 168: "Waveland. -- Michael S. Carman, who built the Jayne Building on Chestnut Street, below Third, placing the granite wall on the border of Dock Creek, owned this property."
p. 171: "Maplecroft. -- In the year 1855, Mr. P. Blakiston purchased the Wagner property, opposite the old General Wayne tavern, on the Frankford and Bristol turnpike, twelves [sic] acres of which he transferred to Mr. E. H. Rowley, who built the mansion afterwards purchased and occupied by W. A. M. Fuller. Mr. Blakiston also added additional ground from the estate of Peter Keene Ashton, and from Joseph Harrison, thus extending his property to the Philadelphia & Trenton R. R. He then, in connection with the late A. E. Ashburner, who had previously bought the old Carman farm, opened a fifty-foot avenue from the turnpike to the railroad planting its whole length with trees, laying a plank walk and making it, as it still remains, the most beautiful avenue and promenade to be found in the neighborhood. Fronting this avenue, he built his mansion, and occupied it up to 1874, when he sold it to the late Moro Phillips, who resided there until his death in 1886. Mr. Blakiston also built on the avenue a cottage for his friend, Mr. Charles M. Schott; this was afterwards bought and occupied by Mr. Edward R. Warrington. It now belongs to the Fuller estate. A lot, 150 by 200, was presented by Mr. Blakiston to Emmanuel Church, upon which was built a Rectory ... Mr. Blakiston also built the Station House, which for a long time proved a great convenience to the residents of Collegeville and the neighborhood. After an absence of some years from his place he built for a summer residence, fronting on the avenue, -- which is now placed on the city plan as Blakiston Street -- Maplecroft, a Queen Anne cottage."
32. St. Dominic's Church
p. 172: "St. Dominic's Church. (Communicated.) -- This building, with the adjoining rectory, stands in a commanding position on the turnpike, not far from the Pennypack Creek. Its golden cross may be seen for many miles from elevated places in the surrounding country. It has a large and devout congregation. From Scharf & Westcott's History of Philadelphia, we glean the following facts with regard to its history: 'The corner stone was laid September 9th, 1849, by Very Rev. F. X. Gartland ...The present rector, Rev. Lawrence J. Wall, was appointed First Assistant at the Church, June 22d, 1872, and succeeded to the rectorship, October 18th, 1876. He has enlarged the pastoral residence, laid out a cemetery, established a convent, built a parochial school building and greatly improved the church.'"
33. The Lower Dublin Academy
p. 180: "The building is of stone, colored yellow. It stands on a beautiful site, on rising ground, on the Willits road, near the Bristol Pike. The Academy road branches from the Willits road just at the side of the property. An ancient building of stone was the abode of the janitor for many years. The quaint old-fashioned cottage, with its small paned windows, is now the residence of Mrs. Charles Y. Johnson, who is janitrix. A wooden addition has been made on the lower side of the building, and it is adorned with a piazza. The grounds about this rustic cottage are marvelously near and well kept, and the clean grass plat is a credit to the thrifty caretaker."
p. 184: "In 1849 [the Willit brothers] purchased the farm known as Longford, formerly used by George Henry Walker as an agricultural school, and here Samuel C. Willits resided from 1852 until his death , March 13th, 1885, at the age of sixty six."
p. 199: "Rosemary, The Hon. Charles A. Porter's Place, lies at the junction of the Bristol Pike and the Academy Road on the upper side, and covers several acres, where the fine stock may be seen enjoying the grass. A neat open fence guards, but does not hide, the meadow land. The house is a very pretty country home. The land was part of the Tallman estate, and the house had been occupied by Mr. Snyder, the son-in-law of Mr. Longcope."
p. 200: "Sunnyside, The Hon. Henry F. Walton's Place. -- This was a part of the Tallman farm. William B. Gill, Superintendent of the Western Union Telegraph Company, owned this tract of nine and a half acres. Wallace C. Wise had possessed the property for a short time, and built a small cottage on it, which Mr. Gill enlarged, making a very pleasant country home on a hillside on the Academy Road, above the Bristol Turnpike, near the junction of the Academy and Welsh Roads, being the next house above Senator Porter's. Mr. Walton has enlarged and altered the edifice, and made many improvements, while the macadamizing of the Academy Road makes driving agreeable. The stone posts at the gateways and the fine driveway within are noticeable."
37. Spring Hill
p. 206: "Spring Hill. -- Springs on a hill side probably gave name to this ample and beautiful place. Alexander Brown came into possession of it in 1836, and began residing there in the summer season of 1837. A stone mansion was then on the property which the present owner has enlarged by adding two wings. There are piazzas in front and rear. The dwelling is half a mile back of the turnpike giving quiet country surroundings. Its elevation affords a pleasant view of the Delaware River. Mr. Brown has added the woods through which the avenue passes to his estate and thirty or forty acres of arable land ... Alexander Brown's entrance has a porter's lodge, and a beautiful avenue of trees to introduce to the mansion, two famous large beech trees shading the gate. Some additions to the trees have been made by the present owner, who cherishes them as friends. Mr. Brown also added the gate house. Some ancient kings of the forest have stood a century or more. It is very seldom that so long an avenue greets the incomer: where an intruding tree trenches on the drive it is not disturbed, and this makes picturesque curves and a pleasant irregularity. A rustic bridge, on one of the posts of which I now support my note-book, crosses a little stream, which widens out into a pond ... The avenue spreads out into a grove, through which the graveled drive wends its way. Nature is allowed to show her beauty, and the entrance is on of the finest in this country. Another cottage is passed. The lawn, diversified with flower beds and the greenhouses, and grapery burst upon the view. A head and distant trees break the landscape. The large mansion faces the railway, and glimpses of the Delaware River among the trees cheer the beholder; while New Jersey is seen in the distance. A second avenue runs to Eleven Mill Lane. An old wall covered by ampholiptus vechi has a pretty effect. There is a picturesque ice house, and pleasant well ventilated stables and coach house are in the rear. The old house of previous owners still stands, with its strong stone walls."
p. 223: "Vancouver. -- The celebrated navigator once lived in an old white cottage on this place with green blinds above the dwelling occupied by Nelson Brown, hence the name. Mrs. Thomas A. Morgan built this stone mansion. This became the property by purchase of William H. Stewart, who sold to Nelson Brown, who added the finest stables along the river built of brown stone. Mr. Brown's fine tally-ho is well-known. The well-kept lawn, with its shading trees and the ample piazza, make an inviting abode. The house is next above Rose Cottage."
40. Residence of Thomas Kilby Smith.
p. 224: "Among the families for a long time resident at Torresdale, is that of the late General Thomas Kilby Smith, who moved thither from Ohio, in the autumn of 1865. Their home is situated on Pequession Avenue, or Milner Street, as its name appears on the city plan. It is a plain square brown stone house, with a pleasant sunny garden, notable for the excellence and variety of its fruits. The trees and vines were planted under the eye of the General himself, and during the years of his declining life, he found his chief pleasures in cultivating this little plot."
41. Sacred Heart Convent
p. 238: "On April 14th, 1847, Rebecca Cowperthwait sold [the land] to Julia Adeline Boilvin for $29,500, and the Sacred Heart Academy of Eden Hall was opened and in 1849, it was incorporated. (It was called Eton Hill at first but the religious gave it the name of Eden Hall.) ... The present Chapel of Eden Hall was commenced in October, 1849. On the 30th of that month, Archbishop Hughes, of New York, laid the corner stone ... The two little chapels on the grounds near the house are that of the Seven Dolors of the Blessed Virgin, built by the offers of the pupils in 1849 ..."
42. All Saint's Church
p. 243: "All Saint's Church. (By Dr. Charles R. King, Accounting Warden.) -- At a point halfway between the tenth and eleventh mile stones of the Frankford and Bristol Turnpike Roads, and upon its southern side, at the place of meeting of three large farms, and one mile back from the River Delaware, stands All Saint's Church, Lower Dublin Township, Philadelphia. The section of country around it was settled by Swedes, whose religious wants were ministered to by the Swedish missionaries from time to time, until the people began to attend the services at the Episcopal Church, Trinity , Oxford Township. Dr. William Smith had charge of that church, and in 1771, finding these people desirous of more frequent services than they had been accustomed to, and not averse to the Episcopal Church, obtained a grant of land from Christian Minnick, upon which, in the year 1773, a plain stone church was erected, with money voluntarily contributed by the people, and was dedicated to the worship of Almighty God, on the 7th of November, Dr. Dache preaching the sermon."
43. Chapel of the Redeemer and King Library
p. 245: "The Chapel of the Redeemer on the southeast side of the Frankford and Bristol Turnpike, at Andalusia, half way between All Saints' and Oak Grove, owes its existence to the desire on the part of a number of ladies of the congregation of All Saints' Church ... A Fair was held, may subscriptions of money were also given, with the proceeds from which a lot of ground was purchased, fifty feet front on the turnpike, running back 270, to which front ten feet more were afterward added, and a neat stone building was erected on it. This building was finished and it and the deed for the ground were presented on the Eighth of July, A. D., 1860, by Mr. James S. Biddle, in behalf of the ladies, to the vestry, giving it to All Saints' Church, by whose permission it had been erected ... A Sunday and Parish School Building had been erected some years previously on the rear of this lot of ground by some of the ladies of the parish, with money collected by a Fair and subscription. The parish school for several years met with considerable success, but was finally closed. At present there is a kindergarten school under the charge of Miss Peale."
44. Pleasant Hill
p. 240: "Pleasant Hill. -- Isaac Pearson and Messrs. Jno. B. Gilpin and William James Miller, all Trustees of the Academy, lived on this property. Mr. Miller purchased this place of James Yard, in 1813. He added to the mansion, and the addition became the principal part. Jonathan Enoch did the excellent handwork in carpentering. Mr. Pearson bought of Mr. Miller in 1837. It was then known as Arundell."
p. 256: "Beldale. -- Henry V. Massey's residence is a two story structure of stone, roughcast, while three dormer windows peep out on the roof between the chimneys. The old fashioned, [sic] mansion is in a very quiet, and retired position, and bosky woods are seen on every side. It is a visible from the Bristol Pike, but stands some distance from it. In entering, a down grades brings the rider to a wood where some fallen logs show that trees like men have their day. A little stream which is fed by springs is crossed by a bridge, and a step hill tests the mettle of a horse. A sun-dial in front of the mansion may remind its busy owner of the passage of time."
46. San Jose
p. 259: "San Jose. -- This place was called Beechwood when it was the residence of Simon Wilmer Cannell, of the Philadelphia mercantile firm, Cannell & Wilmer. The mansion was built in the early part of the fifties. After Mr. Cannell's death, about 1871, the property was rented by Thomas Dolan, the Philadelphia manufacturer, who occupied it for many years. In 1888, Colonel Morrell purchased the place from Mrs. Cannell, who was Miss Skipworth, of Virginia ... The tract contained about 143 acres. Colonel Morrell added several tracts adjoining, making about 300 acres. On old township lines of Moreland, Byberry and Delaware, these three townships join on this property. Colonel Morrell enlarged and improved the house and rebuilt the stable ... The old hipped-roof Hart house near the Morrell entrance bears the ancient date 1731. The drive from Red Lion Road to the San Jose mansion is very beautiful, being bordered by trees. The interior of the dwelling has a remarkably ample and elegant hall. The parlor and library opened into it. Some ancient books make the library interesting."
47. Byberry Friends' Meeting House
p. 270: "In passing along the Gravel Pike toward Byberry Pike, and by the site of the meeting-house which was used for a time, years ago, you come to the far-famed Byberry Friends' Meeting, in a fine farming district, with its extensive horse-sheds, and hall for lectures, and the ancient and modern graveyards."
48. Byberry Friends' Library
p. 273: "Byberry Library (By Nathaniel Richardson). -- From the original minutes it appears that 'at a meeting of a number of respectable inhabitants of Philadelphia and Bucks Counties held at Byberry school house, pursuant to appointment, on the 8th of the 12th month, 1794,' it was 'resolved that the citizens now met use their influence to promote an institution under the title of Byberry Library, to be first opened at the dwelling house of Ezra Townsend, in Bensalem.' ... In 1798, the library was moved from the house of Ezra Townsend to the school house."
49. The Pines.
p. 277: "The Pines, Residence of Thomas Shallcross. -- The old trees which grace the lane leading to this picturesque farm house, with its quaint ivy-covered gables, account for its name. The house has stood the storms and sunshine of some fifty or sixty years, and its heavy walls are not yet tired of bearing their weight. Large open fire-places indicate a time when the cheerful hearth was reality, and not a mere figure of speech, and when coal did not cook the air before the lungs can breathe it. White oak timbers above and floors of the same material below give a great contrast underfoot and overhead to the flimsy buildings often seen to-day."
50. Residence of Alexander Knight Pedrick.
p. 278: "A little more driving brings us to the Bustleton and Somerton Turnpike to the old stone farm house of Alexander K. Pedrick, which he has improved with good taste, making a pleasant summer home for himself at the corner of the Red Lion Road. The outbuildings have been colored in an attractive way, so that the group of buildings draw the notice of those passing along the turnpike."
51. West View
p. 278: "West View. -- This pleasant and attractive country mansion, with its wide lawn and trees stands on the East side of the Bustleton Turnpike a little above Bustleton. Charles Fulmer built the stone house, and Samuel W. Evans, Jr., purchased the large farm in 1890, and made extensive improvements, erecting an excellent farmer's house and enlarging the out-buildings ... The place is named form the fact that it fronts the West, and form the lengthy piazza the glory of the setting sun displays itself ..."
p. 295: "Andalusia. -- This is the name of the beautiful country seat of the Biddle family on the Delaware River, a little above Torresdale and just beyond the limits of Philadelphia. John Craig, a merchant of Philadelphia, bought this place about the year 1794. His wife and sisters called in Andalusia and the village and postoffice on the Bristol Turnpike near by have adopted this Spanish name. This was originally a simple farm that was taken as a country place. Mr. Sarmiento, a Spanish gentleman, married Mr. Craig's sister, and did business with him. They had united affairs in Mexico, and the Spanish interest is thought to have originated the designation. Mr. Craig built the fine mansion. His wife was an Irish lady with good taste, and the house with its octagonal ends was planned by her."
53. Penn Rhyn
p. 298: "Penn Rhyn, The Old Bickley Place. (By R. Wharton Bickley.) --A look back through the long vista of years will show the year 1744 to the mind's eye, when Abraham Bickley, the elder, sought the shores of what was then on the colonies of his native country, and purchased a tract of land on the banks of the river Delaware, known as 'Belle Voir,' which in due time was changed to Penn Rhyn, which is still retained ... After marrying a Miss Shewel or Sewell of Philadelphia, he remodeled the old house in 1793, by adding the front portion, and later, the back buildings. It now stands as originally built by him."
54. Residence of Charles McFadden
p. 305: "Charles McFadden's Place. -- The deeds of this property trace it back to Penn, as it was a portion of the tract of 10,000 acres conveyed by him to Joseph and Lawrence Growden, October 24th, A. D., 1681 ...Mr. McFadden bought the place of E. H. Conklin, and erected the present large mansion in A. D., 1876. The site is high, and it is a commanding position for a residence, and the view is very fine. Mr. Shorb was the contractor, architect, and builder of the edifice."
55. St. Elizabeth's School
p. 312: "The stone building is very large, and of a foreign style of architecture. It is plainly visible from the railway, and is near Cornwell's Station. The grounds are newly laid out, but will, in time, doubtless be shaded by growing trees. The site is a fine one, and the benevolent Sisters will have a good position for their devoted Christian work."
56. High Point Farm.
p. 316: "High Point Farm, so named by George W. South, who believed it to be the highest point, directly on the Bristol Turnpike, opposite the fourteen mile stone, between Philadelphia and Trenton, now the property of Mrs. Elizabeth L. Henry, lies between the villages of Cornwell's and Eddington -- a tract of nearly sixty acres of ground. A portion of the dwelling is more than 100 years old. Mr. Richard T. White, who resided here from 1867 to 1872, altered and enlarged the residence, adding large back buildings, and introducing water and gas throughout ... I add to this sketch that the position of the mansion is very striking, and draws the attention to the passer-by, as it stands on a natural terrace which slopes to the road. The farm is a large one. The building is ample and pleasant, and the dining-room is specially noticeable for its hospitable size."
57. Christ Church
p. 319: "Christ Church, Eddington. --An account of this Episcopal Church is given in Dr. King's sketch of the history of All Saints' Church, Lower Dublin, in this volume, to which we refer the reader. The group of buildings, including the church, Sunday School building and rectory is very pretty, and the shaded churchyard shows the beauty of a rural parish."
58. The Clock House
p. 327: "The Clock House. -- This ancient brick mansion has been colored yellow. It is two stories high with dormer windows in the attic. A gable breaks the wall on the river front of the house, and a piazza extends along a part of its length. The old window, looking like a clock face, lighted the second story, and a light was formerly kept burning there to guide the mariners on the river, when rafts were passing along. Hence the name. The front door, with its side windows formerly introduced to a hall, but the partition has been removed, making a very large room [.] In this room is a fire-place, where the kettle swings, and a mantel with fine wood carving, which has been moved from another room in the house, is worthy of attention. A large platter is fastened in a frame on the wall, above the fire-place. A cannon in front of the house threatens New Jersey, if the State in Schuylkill should see fit to fight. A little wharf holds a small boat by its rope, while a sail boat dances on the waves. A flag with its central fish and thirteen stars is a reminder of old times. Two sun-dials are on the well-kept lawn. Lewis Jackson has charge of the place."
59. Castle of the State in Schuylkill
p. 331: " 'The State in Schuylkill,' founded in 1732, and the oldest existing social organization among English speaking people, was a combination of fishermen and humorists, who were also among the prominent founders of the city of Philadelphia ... Many of the founders of the 'State in Schuylkill' were officeholders, and knew that the affairs of the new State would be administered more successfully if there were as many offices as possible. Therefore, they chose a Governor and Lieutenant-Governor, Representatives, Counsellors, Treasurer, a Secretary of State, a Sheriff and a Coroner ... The colony was first established on the west bank of the Schuylkill, about a mile above the present water works. Here it continued to occupy an acre of ground for ninety years, but the fishery was destroyed by the building of the dam, and in 1822 the colony emigrated to the east bank of the river, opposite Bartram's garden. For the ground which the colony originally occupied it paid to the 'Baron of the Soil' an annual rental of three fresh sun perch. There a 'Court House' was erected, previous to which the chiefs of the Leni Lenape tribe of Indians attended a council of the new colony, and granted its members the right and privilege to hunt in the woods and fish in the Schuylkill and Delaware ... At he Falls of Schuylkill a company of aristocratic sportsmen, the 'Society of Fort St. David's,' had their fort about the middle of the last century, but after the Revolutionary War this society was merged in the 'State in Schuylkill.' The 'State in Schuylkill' also had a navy consisting of two boats, named the Shirk and the Fly ... In 1781, the dilapidated castle, navy and dockyard were repaired at an outlay of $60. In the next year new laws were passed and the 'State in Schuylkill' was declared a sovereign and independent State in signification of the outcome of the war ... In March, 1812, was erected the new castle, which had been moved with every subsequent emigration of the colony and is still in use ... In April, 1884, the State recovered possession of the cannon which it had presented to the Association Battery in 1747. The battery was on the Delaware where the navy yard is. In 1887, the State in Schuylkill bought the Clock House and two acres of ground on the Delaware opposite Beverly. The old castle and belongings were removed from Gray's Ferry to Eddington and refitted at an expensive of $1,700."
60. The Eddington Presbyterian Church
p. 336: "The Eddington Presbyterian Church may be said to have originated in the old Bensalem Church. For a number of years the congregation of the latter were in the habit of celebrating communion in the historic edifice where Whitefield and Tennent preached and which, surrounded by the graves where the 'rude fore-fathers of the hamlet slept' may still be seen in its venerable decay. But the distance and inaccessibility of the old church, soon proved a serious barrier to a rapidly increasing number of residents along the pike, and in 1873, services were held in the small wooden structure which has now parted with all churchly functions and is used as a meeting place for the Bensalem Republican Club. The first pastor was Rev. Dr. Michael Burdette, who preached until he was overtaken by the infirmities of age, when he was honorably retired and pensioned, until the day of his death. In the year 1883, Dr. Burdette was without a home and the necessity for a pastor's residence, together with the growing desire for a place of worship which should be architecturally more in keeping with the many fine houses in the neighborhood led to the purchase of the present parsonage, and the ground on which was subsequently erected the beautiful structure of the Eddington Presbyterian Church. The corner stone was laid with appropriate ceremonies in 1885, and in a few months was completed a building worthy in every respect of the high ideas to which it is dedicated. Of Gothic architecture with a tapering round spire upon a square tower, over which the rare old ivy is slowly creeping, it reminds many a passerby of the lovely churches, in song and story, which may be seen nestling in the recesses of the English vales."
61. Bristol College
p. 343:"China Retreat and Bristol College ... China Retreat on the Delaware River near Croydon Railway Station is a splendid old mansion. The wooden building is lined with brick. There were originally wings at each side. A fine semi-circular portico in front is supported by pillars. There are massive marble steps. The hall is a noble one. One of the rooms was a chapel in college days ... The additional building of Bristol College is just below China Hall. It is a large brick building, plastered. It is no longer a school. This was started as a Manual Labor School ... There were church services at the chapel, and the students performed religious work in the neighborhood ... The college was inaugurated in A. D., 1834. A new building was begun called White Hall, in honor of Bishop White, which I suppose is the present building."
p. 355: "Farley, the Residence of James Moore. -- James Moore is the present owner of Farley, having purchased the property of the Dixon estate in December, 1881 ... A remarkably beautiful avenue of trees leads from the Upper Newportville Road to this country-seat, and another wooded drive forms a second entrance below. There is a pleasing and natural irregularity in the growth of these sons of the forest of various ages and sizes, and the avenue is very long. A piazza extends the whole length of the front of the mansion. The dwelling is built of brown stone. The rear lawn is very extensive and the railway bridges over the Neshaminy, and the wide creek diversify the picture. A cannon from the Frigate Constitution adorns the lawn ... The location of Farley is on an eminence above Neshaminy Creek, and the high site makes a pleasant feature in the landscape. A lawn of twenty-five acres slopes down to the edge of the water. The property comprises about two hundred acres, including much woodland, and some very old trees."
63. St. James's Church (Old Building)
p. 363: The Episcopal Church of St. James the Greater ... A building was erected in 1712. Most of the brick were brought from England ...After the Revolution the ancient structure was enlarged and renovated. The pews had high backs, according to the fashion of early days. The gallery contained the organ, and the Infant Sunday School Class sat there. There was a frame building on the grounds for a lecture and Sunday School room. Trees adorn the ancient and beautiful graveyard."
65. Memorial Church of St. Luke, The Beloved Physician
p. 396: "For a number of years [Rev. S. F. Hotchkin] has been the rector of the beautiful Memorial Church of St. Luke the Beloved Physician, at Bustleton, Philadelphia, built by Mrs. Pauline E. Henry, in memory of her husband, Dr. Bernard Henry, and to the glory of God in Christ."
66. St. Luke's School.
p. 399: "[Rev. Hotchkin] gave great encouragement to the establishment of St. Luke's Boys' Boarding School, (a now under the charge of Professors Strout and Moulton), of which he is the spiritual director, and aided much to make the movement for better roads and other public improvements successful."
67-71. St. Luke's School; Old Swedes' Church and House of Sven Sener; St. David's Church - Radnor, Pennsylvania; The Rising Sun Inn; Vernon; Stenton, the residence of James Logan.
No descriptions available.