1. Green's House
No description available.


2. The John Wister house, north of Chelten Avenue.
p. 12: "[The house] is of stone, two stories high, with basement. The stone shows in the front of the basement, but is whitened in the upper stories. A flight of stone steps leads to the front door. This door has a carved piller on each side and is surrounded with an ornamented frame of woodwork, terminating in a square finish above, which ... has an arched window underneath it The roof is cut off at both ends so that the ridge is shortened. A triangular front containing a semi-circular windown is also inserted in the roof above three of the front windows, while a dormer window projects on each side of it. Two high chimneys complete the variety. These old houses, while they lack the conveniences of modern ones, have an old-fashioned English dignity which is attractive and deserves to be preserved by pen and pencil, before the red brick dwellings drive them away."


3. Stenton, residence of James Logan.
p. 21: "A house like Stenton, which is supposed to have been finished in A.D. 1728, is an American antiquity, though it may not rival a castle on the Rhine, nor an English baronial mansion, in age ... the locomotives on the two railroads which pass Wayne Junction ought ot be ashamed of themselves for shrieking loudly ... As we draw near Stenton, James Logan's ancient mansion, we are struck by the quiet and dignified simplicity of the place ... The building is two stories in height, with high attics, having dormer windows. The material of its construction is brick, said to have been burned in the neighborhood. The front door has its long glass windows at the sides to enhance its dignity, after the fashion of the day. The semi-circular stones which form the doorstep have done long service."


4. Loudoun, Residence of Mrs Anna A. Logan.
p. 20: "Ascending Neglee's hill, on the left, that is, the west side of the avenue, stands the old mansion with a Grecian portico styled Loudoun. It is the property of the Logan family ... It was built at the end of the eighteenth century by Thomas Armat for his only child, Thomas Wright Armat, for a summer residence."


5. Royal's House, No. 4511 Main Street.
p. 37: "The double stone house No. 4515 belongs to the same family. Its front door is a half door."


6. Bits about the corner of Fisher's Lane and Germantown Avenue
No description available.


7. On the Road above Fisher's Lane
No description available.


8. 'Wister's Big House'
Built 1744 by John Wister; p. 44: "opposite Indian Queen Lane, 'for a summer residence.' It is marked 4661."


9. Fleckenstein's House, Spring Lane.
p. 53: "North of [Spring Alley] is the old house, numbered 4528. Samuel Fleckenstein lived in it."


10. White Cottage
p. 54: "Dr. Samuel Betton ... bought the rather striking, but agreeable looking house, 'White Cottage,' which yet stands on the north side of Manheim street, west of Greene, and is occupied by Theodore Justice ... The Bettons were of the Bethune family, as was the Duke of Sully, the minister of Henry IV."


11. Ye Conyngham House, Main Street, Germantown.
p. 58: "No 4634 ... a large house, standing back." (p.58)


12. The Friends Meeting House, Coulter and Main Streets.
p. 64: "The Friends Meeting House belongs to Frankford Monthly Meeting and Abington Quarterly Meeting ... The first Meeting House is thought to have been of wood; and a part of its foundation was found a few years ago. In 1708 a new stone building on the same site arose ... In 1812 a third meeting-house was built, west of the old site ... In 1871 it disappeared and a fourth meeting-house was erected, still further to the west [of this one]."


13. Main and Manheim
No description available.


14. The Germantown Academy .
p. 75: "... organized in 1760."


15. Shoemaker's First Farm
No description available.


16. St. Luke's Church
p. 79: "The beautiful Episcopal Church named the Memorial Church of St. Luke, the Beloved Physician ... St. Luke's ... 'is the parent of the five other Episcopal church which are now in Germantown.' It stands back, but has 'ample grounds.'"


17. Chapel of Market Square Presbyterian Church.
No description available.


18. Market Square Presbyterian Church.
p. 86: "The church site was obtained in 1732 by the 'High Dutch Reformed Congregation' ... [who] built a church in 1733. The church was taken down in 1838 to erect the present brick building."


20. Market Square.
p. 93: "The half acre on the east side of Main street ... is 'Market Square' or 'The Green as it was formarly called ... in 1703-4 it was purchased ... 'to be used as a Market Place and the Prison House, Stocks, Pound, etc., shall be built thereon."


21. The "Old Ironsides" railway engine.
p. 97: "The old railway station is on 'the southeast corner of Germantown avenue and Price street.'" Old Ironsides was the first locomotive manufactured in the United States.


22. Main Street from School Lane.
p. 125: "In 1711 John Ashmead bought 500 acres of land on Main street and School lane. On the site of the Saving Fund building, southwest corner of School Lane and Main street, was ... the first stone house in Germantown. It was one story high, and is supposed to have been built by the great-great-grandfather of Dr. William Ashmead." **


23. Main and Chelten.*
No description available.


24. First Presbyterian Church, Chelten Ave.
p. 114: "The fine architectural stone building faces Chelten Avenue ... This used to be called 'The English Church in Germantown.' It is a daughter of the Market Square Church."


25. Shoemaker's House. **
No description available.


26. Residence of Mahlon Bryan, West Walnut Lane.
No description available.


27. The Young Men's Christian Association.
p. 138: "The building, numbered 5021, on the east side of Main street, is the home of the Young Men's Christian Association. It was formerly the First Presbyterian Church and the graveyard is yet in the rear."


28. E. H. Butler's Residence.
p. 141: "The fine large house of E.H. Butler, the publisher, with its striking portico and conservatory and ample grounds, is a marked feature of the east side of Main Street."


29. The Morris-Littell House.
p. 143: "The antique English looking house, with its latticed windows at the southeast corner of Main and High streets, would draw the notice even of a passing stranger ... this quaint house with its broken angles' and grounds with the comparatively narrow frontage, but extended depth, [was] characteristic of old Germantown.'"


30. "Wyck", the Residence of Mrs. Haines.
p. 147: "The name 'Wyck' comes from an English residence. It means white, and by a coincidence suits this very white house. The casual passer-by cannot but be struck with the quaint beauty of the old white two-story rambling mansion."


31. Friends' Free Library.
No description available.


32. The Daniel Pastortius Mansion
p. 153: Built in 1748, subsequently the Green Tree Inn; now occupied by Dr. Alexis Du Pont Smith.


33. The Mennonite Church, and the old Keyser House.
p.158: "The Mennonite Church is on the east side of Main street just above Herman street ... The present stone church was erected in 1770. Jacob Keyser ... [was part of] the building committee."


34. St. Peter's Episcopal Church, Wayne and Harvey Streets.
p. 163: "This beautifully situated stone church, with its tower and bell ... show the interest and taste of the ... the congregation."


35. Christ Church, Main street and Tulpohocken street.
p. 164: "On May 15, 1854, Bishop Alonzo Potter laid the corner stone. Chestnut Hill stone formed the material of the church building. It had a steeple 180 feet high ... In 1878 a hurricane ... demolished the church." [rebuilt 1880]


36. The Rodney House.
p. 185: "... the residence of the Rev. John Rodney, Rector Emeritus of St. Luke's Church ... The upper end of the house was the John Keyser house, and is old. The new house was built into it, as it were, and the old part from the upper wall to the new house is unchanged ... The old double shop door forms part of the partition in the same position as formerly."


37. The Chew House.
p. 193: Known as Cliveden, built 1761.


38. The Second Baptist Church, Main and Upsal Streets.
Dedicated 1866.


39. Carlton, Queen Lane residence of Cornelius Smith. Built 1780.
p. 220: "The large dwelling is built of stone and plastered and whitened ... The central part contains two stories and an attic with a dormer window on each side. A fine old wide hall with an old stair case with antiques woodwork is a pleasant point in the architecture, and the lawn on each side affords a pretty picture ... The east doors of the hall are of remarkable width, and studded with brass nails, as a help against burglars. A stove pipe hole was cut in an upper panel perhaps before the days of hard coal and furnaces. In front their is a fine piazza with a stone floor and Grecian pillars."


40. The Channon House, Germantown Avenue.
No description available.


41. Calvary Episcopal Church, Manheim Street. Finished 1859.
p. 279: "... the beautiful rustic church , with its cross-crowned porches and buttresses and bell tower, surmounted by a cross ..."


42. Devonshire Place.
p. 299: "In 1842 the present mansion was erected on the site of the old house, whose date of erection was in 1797. The former house was large and spacious ..."


43. National Bank of Germantown.
p. 338: Originally at Main Street above School Lane, moved to Main Street below Shoemaker Lane in 1825, and to Main Street and School Lane in 1868.


44. Saving Fund. Main street and School Lane. Organized 1854.
p. 338: "... the present noble edifice was built and occupied April 1, 1883."


45. Mutual Fire Insurance Building
p. 339: Organized 1843. Originally at Germantown Avenue and Armat Street, moved to Germantown and School in 1885.


46. Grace Church. Gowen and Ardleigh Avenue. Consecrated 1889.
p. 355: "the building will be built of stone ... it will have a nave, aisles and baptistery, also a tower 90 feet high ... the interior will be diversified by colored bricks."


47. The Mt. Airy Presbyterian Church, Germantown Avenue and Mount Pleasant Street. Dedicated 1883.
p. 357: "... a pretty edifice of wood."


48. Mt. Airy College,
p. 356: "... once the residence of Judge Allen. The square building of stone, surmounted by the flag, was the Judge's country abode before the Revolution ... Mt. Airy College was founded by Rev. Francis Xavier Brosius ... [it] has recently been sold to the Lutheran Church for their Theological Seminary."


49. Residence of James Gowen
No description available.


50. The Gowen Homestead
p. 390: Formerly the Miller Homestead, occupied by an Agricultural college 1848-1853.


51. Wissahickon Inn, Springfield Avenue.
p. 401: "... this magnificant and pleasant summer resort occupies a high position near the Pennsylvania Railroad. A continuous wood runs from the rear of the Inn to the romantic Wissahickon."


52-53. Druim Moir, Residence of H.H. Houston.
p. 422: "Mr. Houston's fine mansion is built of local stone, with granite trimmings and shingle roof ... One of the most striking features of the building is a fine English Tower five stories in height, with a battlement surrmounting it ... The house is of a composite style of architecture."


54. St. Martin-in-the-Fields Episcopal Church, Wissahickon Heights.
p. 425: "a clere-story church, with columns and aisles ... The material to be used in the construction of the church is local graystone ... with trimmings of Indiana limestone ... The interior wil be entirely faced out with brick and the general tone of the walls is to be buff, with wainscoting of red and decorated bands of different colors. The clere-story columns are of Indiana limestone and have carved caps and bases of the same. The clere-story arches are of red brick. The traces of the windows is also of Indiana limestone. The roof [is] of open timber construction so as to show all the timbers, forming a ceiling of varnished wood throughout ... The chancel end of the church will be surmounted by a tower of stone 100 feet high."


55. Home for Consumptives, Stenton Avenue.
p.439: "The 'Cottage' or 'Separate System' was adopted by the management of the Home for Consumptives, Chestnut Hill."


56. St. Paul's Episcopal Church, consecrated 1865. Chestnut Avenue.
No description available.


57. Graystock, Evergreen Avenue. The residence of George C. Thomas
No description available.


58. Residence of Colonel George H. North
p. 452: "The building is in the Gothic style of architecture, and it is perfect in construction. The angles are exact ... It ... has been by some considered the prettiest house on the hill."


59. Norwood Hall, Chestnut Avenue.
p. 461: "It is a notable example of the Tudor style of architecture and the ony one of that style strictly, in the near neighborhood."


60. Stonecliffe, Residence of Mrs. Charles Taylor.
p. 464: Built 1880-81. Norwood Avenue.


61. The Evergreens, Stenton Avenue and Summit Street. Residence of Mrs. Thomas Potter.
p. 472: "A roomy and comfortable mansion, with ... ample grounds and surrounding shrubbery."


62. The Anglecot, residence of Charles A. Potter, Prospect and Evergreen Avenues. . Built 1883.
p. 484: "A very pretty, but very quaint house ... The tile and shingle work on the exterior, the front gables and the quaint little balcony, and the upper front gable, and the sun dial, has each a peculiar charm of its own. One front gable burst out from another ... The material is brick below and tiles and shingles above ... There is a hipped-roof on a side gable ... The building is a regular antique."


63. Residence of William Potter.
p. 444: "... on the corner of Township line and Graver's lane ... built in the spring of 1884." p.484: "The tiles roof is all corners, gables and windows. The porte-cochere piazza, and red ornamental chimneys afford a pretty variety."


64. Edgecumbe, residence of Charles B. Dunn.
p. 491: "Mr. Dunn's house is a very pleasant one in a beautiful position. The winding entrance road cut into the lawn introduces the way to the long house, with its piazza on the upper side and another on the lower one. Windows project from the roof. A lawn gives a view toward Barren Hill. There is a fine sloping ha-ha wall. This pleasant mansion of gray stone was erected by Mr. Charles Taylor, about 1857, T. P. Chandler, Jr., being the architect ... There are ample piazzas on the front and lower sides of the house, giving fine views of the surrounding beautiful scenery. On the upper side in the music-room, is a large bay window, while the parlor and library also enjoy these cheerful adjuncts. The house is three stories in height. The green-house in in the rear, and also a fine stone stable. A tower above the mansion is used as an observatory, and commands an extensive view. Some eight acres are included in this place. A pretty winding drive, terminating in a circle, introduces to the mansion. The four gate-posts are massively built of stone, corresponding to the house, and are adorned with flowers in the summer, brightening the entrance, and giving a pleasant welcome to the incomer." *


65. Residence of A.M. Collins.
p. 492: "The mansion has an double bay window on the upper side, and is surmounted by an observatory, which is desirable in the midst of such fine scenery."


66. Rauhala, the residence of A. Warren Kelsey.
p. 501 "There are eight acres in the property, and the deeds run back to Penn and Pastorius."


67. Westleigh, residence of Hon. Richard Vaux.
No description available.


68. Roslyn Heights, residence of Steven Crothers.
p. 517: "The house is of the Modern Queen Anne style of architecture, contains twelve rooms and has all of the modern improvements. The farm consists of about sixty acres"


69. Churchill Hall
p. 528: "The farm house ... has been remodeled ... the old third story was removed and both the old part ... and the new addition ... unified with a large hip roof, with clusters of colonial dormer windows and chimneys."*


70. Franklin School, opened 1885. Germantown Avenue near Walnut lane.
No description available.


71. Residences of G. Ralston Ayers and S. Huckel, Jr.
p. 536: "These new residences occupy the western half of what was formerly the Ketterlinus estate and credibly represent the new style of suburban architecture. The house of G. Ralston Ayers ... possesses many unique points in architecture, prominent among them being the large hall and stairway from first floor to skylight and tower, all finished in hand-carved hard woods ... The adjoining residence of Mr. Huckel is a sample of the revival of the old colonial style, with its black-end brick, classic column and quaint shingled gable ... an example of the professional skill of Mr. Huckel who was the architect of both of these buildings."