p .55: "THE JEWISH HOSPITAL.
"At Tabor Station the Jewish Hospital is on the former Megargee property. It is a very fine, large and costly building surrounded by extensive grounds. It looks a cheerful spot for a sick man's recuperation, and the Jews deserve great credit for the benevolence which has lavished such large sums to benefit suffering humanity."
p 55: "THE JEWISH HOSPITAL, DISPENSARY AND HOME FOR THE AGED AND INFIRM ISREALITES.
"The Jewish Hospital was founded in February, 1865, and commenced work in a small building . . . . In 1872 the erection of the present Hospital building on the Olney Road, near Old York Road in the 22nd ward, was commenced, finished and occupied the following year. Its object is best shown by the following inscription over its main entrance:
[centered in ornate text box] THIS HOSPITAL/ WAS ERECTED BY THE VOLUNTARY CONTRIBUTIONS OF THE/ ISREALITES OF PHILADELPHIA,/ AND IS DEDICATED TO THE RELIEF OF THE SICK AND/ WOUNDED,/ WITHOUT REGARD TO CREED, COLOR OR NATIONALITY,/ UNDER THE MANAGMENT OF A BOARD COMPOSED OF/ MEMBERS OF THE/ JEWSIH HOSPITAL ASSOCIATION.
[Mathilde Adler Loeb Dispensary]
p 55 "In connection with the Hospital there is a separate building known as the Mathilde Adler Loeb Dispensary, which was erected, and is supported by the father and mother of the lady commemorated, Mr. and Mrs. Abraham Adler, and Mr. August B. Loeb. It also has two incurable wards for male and female patients afflicted with consumption, and it supports on the same property a Home for Aged and Infirm Israelites. This Home is the only portion of the Institution which is of a sectarian character. . . .
"The Hospital has received contribution from members and patrons and a number of legacies from citizens of Philadelphia of all denominations, and has some endowments, prompted by love to God and man, but it is compelled to solicit more to supply its needs.
"This is the 29th year in which Mr. Hackenburg has given his arduous labor in leading this good work. He is aided by the following fellow-officers:
"President, William B. Hackenburg; Vice-President, Simon Muhr; Secretary, Simon A. Stern; Treasurer, August B. Loeb; Corresponding Secretary, Herman Jonas.
"Directors: Mayer Sulzberger, Abraham Wolf, Solomon Gans, Aaron Lichten, Lucien Moss, Max Liveright, Simon B. Fleisher, Simon I. Kohn, Herman B. Blumenthal, Edward Wolf, Jacob Wiener, Arnold Kohn.
"Ephraim Lederer, Clerk."
[Residence of Mr. T Henry Asbury]
p 71 "T. Henry Asbury, the head of the Enterprise Manufacturing Company, deserves great credit for having erected many beautiful homes at Oak Lane. If he who makes two blades of grass grow where one stood alone is a benefactor, so is he who multiplies cosy and healthful residences as things of beauty and attractiveness. Mr. Asbury found the section almost an uncultivated waste, and has so exercised his taste and judgement that all are gratified with the present condition of things. He has constructed many architectural cottages; and has studied the art of building in order to make them as convenient and comfortable as possible; and has been ready to assist the new comer in such a manner as to make the purchase of his own home a [p 72] comparatively easy matter; and in a republic those who own their abodes make good citizens, as feeling an interest in their surroundings.
"Mr. Asbury's own residence stands on a pleasant eminence where the railway trains, with their living freight, may constantly be seen passing below. The sloping lawn may recall the lines in Cowper's Task:
"Whose well rolled walks."enliven the landscape.
With curvature of slow and easy sweep"
p 76: "ST. MARTIN'S CHURCH, OAK LANE.
"This beautiful and architectural building is constructed of stone, and its high location on Oak Lane amidst attractive scenery make it a delightful spot. there is a recess chancel, containing a window representing the Ascension of Our Lord. the building is lighted by electricity. The woodwork is beautifully displayed on the roof of the church and chancel. there is a clerestory and the windows are Gothic. A brass lectern and a worthy altar adorn the chancel.
"The following notice is from The Philadelphia Inquirer of November 7th, A.D., 1889:
'NEW CHURCH AT OAK LANE.
'Oak Lane is to have a new church, and it is to be called St. Martin's. . . . In the early part of 1887 a number of the residents came together to see what could be done to establish a church in the immediate neighborhood, . . copper restings, will be used. The plan of the church is of a cruciform shape and the style of architecture , early English Gothic. the design shows careful study, complete equipoise and rugged strength.
'On Oak Lane the building will extend 50 feet and on Moss Street 110 feet. The cloisters are 16x11 feet, vestibule and the guild room 11x11 feet. The nave is 67x32 feet. From the vestibule access may be had to the nave, Sunday school room and guild room. the organ, choir chamber, vestry and robing rooms are well arranged.
'Two steps lead to the chancel and one step from the chancel to the sanctuary, where the altar will stand on its platform of three steps. A lofty rood screen is to be placed under the chancel arch. The wood used in the screen, furnishings and pews will be of polished oak. All of the modern sanitationary appliances will be introduced to secure comfort to the three hundred worshippers. The ventilation is to be secured from the tower, which is 70 feet high. Work is to be commenced as soon as contracts can be made.' "
['Roadside' residence of late Lucretia Mott]
p 159: "Next below Mr. Fray's is the house of Edward M. Davis, Sr., son-in-law of the late Lucretia Mott. Here Mrs. Mott lived for many years and here she died. This is called 'Roadside.'
". . . In 1850, Edward M. Davis, who was the husband of their daughter Maria, with his brother-in-law Thomas Mott, bought the 'Oak Farm' on the York Road. There was a small farm house, but additions  were made rendering it 'a substantial country residence. Internally it had the charm of oddly-shaped rooms and queer passages, and steps up in one place, and down in another. The home had an air of hospitality and good cheer.' . . .
"Edward M. Wistar has lately bought the mansion called 'Roadside,' which was so long the home of the Motts."
110: "Ogontz School.
"Ogontz School for Young Ladies' is a prominent educational institution, situated half a mile north of the York Road at the point of the Gate House, and three-quarters of a mile from the station, near which the Philadelphia & Reading Rail Road crosses the turnpike road. Ogontz was at first the name of the private estate of Jay Cooke, Esq., but after his residence was given over to the school the name was appropriated to designate the nearest station of the Philadelphia & Reading Rail Road, and an office of the Western Union Telegraphy Company and the United States Express Company.
"The situation of the school is one of remarkable beauty. A steady rise of the country northeast of Philadelphia from the Delaware River, terminates in this vicinity in a succession of billowy hills, the slopes of which are broken by patches of native forest, fruitful field, and well-trimmed pleasure grounds, with here and there a gleam of native stream or artificial pond and fountain. Crowning one of there wooded heights, five hundred feet above the river bed rises a granite structure four or five stories in height, the dignity and spaciousness of which are but feebly suggested by our illustrations. the estate contains over two hundred acres, forty of which, adjacent to the house and dotted with fine evergreens and chestnuts are devoted to the uses of a well kept lawn. In order to meet the special needs of a school, a picturesque stone building for a laboratory and studio was erected by the present principals a few rods west of the great house. Half way down the slope to the pond on other side has sprung up a three story wooden building containing the gymnasium and music rooms. The entire group, comprehending also the two lodges, stables, green-houses and infirmary, constitute a marked feature in the country.
"These premises were first opened to a girls school, September 27th, 1883. The venture was the outgrowth of . . . the 'Chestnut Street Seminary,' founded in 1850; . . . it is to Mrs. Emma Willard . . . that its founders, Miss Mary L. Bonney and Miss Harriet A. Dillaye, of New York, were indebted for the aims and methods that entered so successfully in their undertaking. This school, in excellent condition passed from their active supervision and labor in 1883, into the hands of Miss Frances E. Bennett for twenty years connected to the parent school and Miss Sylvia Eastman formerly preceptress of the High School, Buffalo, New York. The transplanting of the school from '1615 Chestnut Street' to its more imposing home was appropriately accompanied by impressive excercises. . . ."
p 116: "CHELTENHAM ACADEMY.
"Twenty-one years ago a preparatory school for boys was opened in one of the old Shoemaker mansions in Shoemakertown (now Ogontz) by Rev. Samuel Clements, D. D. The first building occupied by the school is still standing and is known as 'Ivy Green.' It has been purchased recently by Mr. Geo. Fox who intends to improve the property, still allowing it to retain the appearance and features of a colonial homestead.
" 'Ivy Green' was not well adapted to the purposes of the school, which, in 1872, was removed to 'Norwood' on the summit of the Chelton Hills, about three-fourths of a mile west of the Old York Road, at the corner of Washington Lane and Chelten Avenue. This site, the country seat of the late Maurice L. Hallowell, was all that could be desired and was settled upon as the permanent home of Cheltenham Academy. Here amid such surroundings and enjoying such advantages as are possessed by very few institutions of its kind, the good doctor carried out for nearly seventeen years his well defined ideas in the training of young men and boys, and left at his death in 1888 an institution which is a fitting memorial. . . .
"Shortly after the death of Dr. Clements the school property was purchased by Mr. John Calvin Rice, an educator of wide experience, under whose management the Academy has been a continued success. . . ."
p 125: "PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH.
"The Presbytery of Philadelphia north, according to Rev. Richard Montgomery's account in Bean's History, were the means, under God, of starting the Presbyterian church at Ashbourne. . . . In 1878 a Sunday School was opened in a building offered kindly by R. J. Dobbins. The same year a church was formed. . . .
"In 1883 a contract was made with Bird & Given, of Philadelphia, to build a church from the plans of Isaac Pursell. The building was finished in 1884, having cost $15,000.
It should be added that this building is a pretty one of stone, having a basement, and a transept. there is a solid tower containing the porch, and surmounted by a spire."
p 132: "ST PAUL'S EPISCOPAL CHURCH, CHELTENHAM.
"The meeting to consider the establishment of this church in Cheltenham Township took place on June 23d, 1860. . . .
"The meeting consisted of those living in Cheltenham and its neighborhood. It was stated that $5,500 had been subscribed toward building a church. It was resolved that it should be erected at the junction of Old York and Cheltenham Roads. The following vestry was elected: John W. Thomas, jay Coke, J. F. Peniston, William C. Houstan, John Baird, Robert Shoemaker, Wm. G. Moorehead, Frederick Faley, H. P. Birchall, Isaac Starr, Jr., George C. Thomas and Wm. Elliott. . . .the Bishop of Pennsylvania, Rt. Rev. Dr. Alonzo Potter, was asked then to lay the cornerstone of the new church. The ceremony was performed on September 3rd, A. D., 1860. . . .
"The church was solemnly consecrated . . . Thursday afternoon, May 16, 1861. . . .
"The church, on Whitsunday, the 19th of May, 1861, 'was opened for regular services. . . .
"On March 28, 1864, 'plans for a new building for the Sunday School and library were submitted to the vestry and its erection decided upon. A new organ was placed in the church in 1866.' . . . 'The congregation worshipped in their enlarged and beautiful church for the first time on the 23rd of February. . . .'
"The church improvement cost over $7,000. The same year the rectory was finished and occupied. It . . . is a beautiful, ample, and convenient modern dwelling of stone adjacent to the church. A large hall for the 'Men's Bible Class and for secular purposes, and a sexton's house adjoining, were also erected' this year.
"In 1869 the energetic young people in the parish caused the church tower to be commenced, and finished the next year.
"A part of the ground in the rear of the church is a burial place, and this 'God's acre' is beautifully and well kept. . . .
"In 1882 Charles B. Wright, Esq., added to the church a handsome stone transept on the south side, as a memorial to his deceased wife and daughter. This has proved a very handsome enlargement to the church, and it contains the organ.
"In the next year the church was greatly improved by being repewed in hard wood, which, with other improvements, cost over $3,000.
"A very interesting feature in connection with this parish was that the gallery of the church was occupied by the pupils of the Cheltenham Academy for Boys, . . . and a very large proportion of the young ladies at Ogontz attend service here.
"A late improvement is the introduction of electric light into the church and rectory by a generous member of the congregation. The four wooden dials of the clock have given way to glass ones each 8 feet in diameter. The clock is illuminated at night by electric light. . . . . "
[Summer residence of Mr. PAB Widener]
p 141: "Mr. Widener's house was undergoing alteration and improvement when I viewed it in passing.
"The porto-cochere [sic] is 'a pleasing combination of stone, spindle arches, shingle roof, winker windows and metal finials of modern Queen Anne architecture.' The porch surrounds three sides of the mansion. the tower terminates in an observatory; a pointed roof surmounts it. Within the mansion the walls are splendidly frescoed, while hard woods, especially oak, are used. The circular end of the dining-room has a stone carved mantle with wood above it. carved seats are on each side of it. The roof is of open timber. The baths are finely constructed, and the 'electric system' runs through the house. Angus S. Wade is the architect. A new stable houses the 'blooded stock' of the owner.
"The Philadelphia Inquirer of January 30th, 1888, gives an account of the improvement of the former Charles Richardson property by P. A. B. Widener, (of the Traction Company), near Thomas Dawson's fine mansion. The house of Mr. Widener is an architectural success of a high order. The porches and roof of the old mansion were removed while the interior was newly modeled. A circular addition, of ample size, joins the dining-room, being three stories high, having 'a gable roof, dormer windows, and handsomely wrought stone chimneys separated by flying buttresses.' An octagonal stone bay window of two stories adorns the mansion. A projection of the roof forms a balcony. An oriel window with and Ogee roof has a pretty effect. A bay window lights the library. W. H. Thomas was the Contractor."
p 142: "Mrs. John W. Thomas's place, called Bloomfield, displays an observatory where the natural beauties of God's creation find proper culture and appreciations. The house is large and elegant. Her husband, a well known Philadelphia merchant, and prominent resident here, was one of the foremost workers in founding St. Paul's Episcopal Church, Cheltenham. . . .
"Bloomfield was bought by Mr. Thomas and Mr. Simon, who purchased of Mr. Paxson who held a farm containing over 100 acres. The entire ground was bought by the Chelten Hills Land Association, which purchased nearly all the land from City Line to Church Lane on the York Road, running through to Washington Lane and along that Lane, and the line of the North Penn Rail Road as then laid out, though it was not then built. This was done in 1854. The Company divided the land into sites for beautiful country residences, opening Avenues, which still bear the names then given. Mr. Thomas was one of the original twelve members of the Association. . . . "
"This property, the name of which is a Russian word meaning, cool and pleasant, and on which the residence of John B. Stetson, Esq., is situated is one of the most prominent and pleasing along York Road and situated near the junction of that road with Cheltenham Road, and comprises 15 acres. The grounds are laid out in an attractive manner and in such a way as to give the best effect to the buildings which are situated on the top of a knoll which is partly wooded and partly lawn, interspersed with winding roads, a large pool, flower beds, which display good taste of landscape gardening. the buildings comprise a large conservatory, two rose houses and large stable, in which building is the machinery for supplying steam for heating and power  for electric lighting of the property. At the rear of the stable is a pigeonnier in the French style, with attractive surroundings.
"The main residence with which we have most to do, however, has been from time to time extended from its original size of 40 feet square until with its latest extension it is 150 feet front and 120 feet deep, over extreme measurements, being L shaped.
"The exterior and indeed the whole buildings follows closely the architecture of the time of Francis I, in this case the expression sought and which would be most effective for the situation.
The house is built mainly of local stone with Indiana stone trimmings and has mullioned windows and two rather elaborate bays on the corner, terminating in balconies and copper domes.
The south end of the house has a roofed veranda 15 feet wide made with a wooded superstructure on a stone coped wall and on the York Road and rear fronts is an uncovered terrace 15 feet wide with a stone balustrade and laid in plain tiles.
"The roof is of corrugated Akron tiles with cut stone dormer windows and chimney. Entrance is made from the wagon road under a porte-cochere through a carved oak door way into a large hall 32 feet by 40 feet, finished in quartered oak of antique color; this hall was the original house and in the recent alteration was changed into a large hall running up two stories in height, with five feet galleries running around its four sides.
"Opposite the entrance door in this hall is the main stairway 12 feet by 20 feet, entrance to which is had through a triple archway, and which has a [p 152] handsomely carved balustrade and newels and is lighted by a large stained glass window.
"At the left of the entrance is a massive red stone fireplace 12 feet front, carved and with tracery and other characteristics of the style. . . .
"Owing to the favorable situation of the house, the views from all the rooms in any direction are very pleasing, extending over quite a large area of woodland fields and roads, and there is throughout, that sense of quiet repose which can only come in places situationed like this, away from scenes of work and turmoil.
"A goodly number of forest trees have been left to adorn the place and mingle old beauties with new. The rolling character of the ground makes a constant picture. It is an ideal summer country place. Mr. Stevenson the landscape gardener has arranged many pleasing curves which vary the lawn with lines of beauty. . . . "
[old and new Cheltenham flour mills]
p 154: "The older mill had its venerable complement of machinery for flour making as used in times gone by. The new establishment is fitted up with all the improvements and accessories that money and skill can furnish. . . . it was soon apparent that the time had come to so alter the old mill that is would readily compete with those in the west, and with such has been refitted by its own State, and thus produces such brands or grades of flour as would fully hold their own. . . .
The location of the mill is one of the wealthiest and best agricultural sections of the State, the soil being unusually deep, and underlaid by limestone, which, as we all know, gives good grain-producing soil."
[residence of Joseph Bosler] no text currently available
[Summer residence of Mr. Wm. L. Elkins]
165: "Near Chelten Avenue is the elegant residence of Wm. L. Elkins bought of John H. Michener. The Philadelphia Inquirer, March 13th, 1888, published this notice:
'The property formerly owned by John Michener at Chelten Hills, which was purchased by William L. Elkins, has been entirely refitted. The house stands back from Chelten Avenue of Ashbourne Road, on an elevation surrounded by an extensive lawn, in a thick growth of trees, commanding a fine view of the surrounding country. The building, before alteration, was in the style of architecture so much in vogue a half century ago, but with possibilities which have been amplified upon by the architect. The first radical change was a new roof, beautifully formed and broken with gables and dormer windows, the designer evidently having Hawthorne in mind, as the gables number seven. A new story was also added to the rear portion of the house for the accommodation of servants. The addition of a new porch gives the necessary shade to the lower rooms, and a stone porte-cochere has been built on the main front, of rough quarry faced stone, of modern English design. The architect was Mr. Angus S. Wade. Charles McCaul was the contractor.' "
[St. Peter's Church, Weldon]
p 201: ". . . Of those who did make such use of [the Weldon Ladies' Society Hall], Mr. and Mrs. Henry C. Davis, aided by Miss Mary Smith (daughter of Russell Smith), Miss Lizzie Baeder, Miss Elliot of Jenkintown, and the Misses Unruh, were so successful . . . that in 1878 Russell Smith made the offer of a portion of his ground in a suitable location, adjoining the property of the Ladies' Society, upon which to erect a church; whereupon Mr. Thomas Smith generously agreed to build a simple but appropriate church structure, and the work was proceeded with at once. . . .
"After the death of Mr. Thomas Smith, which occurred in 1883, his widow determined to erect a substantial stone structure enclosing the wooded one first built, the design being by Russell Smith. With alterations and additions that have been made from time to time since, St. Peter's Memorial Church now appears as represented in the accompanying engraving, which however does not show us the beautiful chancel with the fine memorial windows, executed in London, to the memory of Thomas Smith.
"In the most convenient proximity to the church, are the substantial and ample parish building and rectory, which, with the perfect lawns, driveways and necessary adjuncts, all the gift of the widow of Thomas Smith, make the whole a complete and beautiful place of assemblage for divine worship. . . ."
[caption reads] " 'Vernon,' residence of Mrs. John S. Newbold."
"Vernon was bought by Wm. Henry Newbold about 1850 of Dr. Edwin Schofield, who purchased it of Mr. Jenkins. The Jenkins homestead is quite an ancient stone building; the addition is in two parts which have different dates making a history of the family. It is an ample old mansion and looks very cosy and comfortable, and keeps up a thought of old times among its new neighboring dwellings. John S. Newbold heired the property, and his estate owns it, and the family resides there. Vernon was named by Wm. H. Newbold from Vernon in Burlington County, New Jersey, which is a Newbold Property, and that took its name from a Newbold estate in England.
"This country seat lies on Washington lane, and is entered by an avenue running by the side of the Church of Our Savior.
"Jno. S. Newbold's estate, contains a mansion house, which was built by one of the Jenkins family, perhaps Jesse Jenkins, who occupied it. Samuel Schofield became owner of the Newbold place, and on his death his son Edwin heired it, and sold it to Wm. H. Newbold, father of the late John S. Newbold. "
p 202: "MARY LAWN
"Was so named in loving remembrance of a wife and daughter. this is a fine and ample stone house, with an extended piazza. It is surrounded by a beautiful lawn of considerable extent. The house has a high and commanding position, and there is a substantial stone barn, which is a pleasant feature in country life. Mr. W. H. Kemble, the late owner, was the President of the Philadelphia Traction Company.
"The country seat is on the road from Willow Grove to Chestnut Hill where is joins the Church Road.
"This was called Stout Hill. Mr. Stout's property was bought after his death by Mr. Kemble. Mr. Kemble's fine massive stone gate posts, and large and pretty lawn are noteworthy. A great boulder juts into the road and a windmill has been erected over a spring. Mr. Stout's residence was lower down the hill on the opposite side."
p 202: "SUNSET
"This fine country seat with its wide and beautiful lawn is at the corner of Church Road and Mermaid Lane.
"A year ago this was an open field. On the 7th of March, 1891, ground was broken, and on the 7th of April, 1892, the house was occupied. Wm. H. Kemble began the house for his son, Clay Kemble and the son finished it. James H. Windrim was the architect, and Jacob Garber the builder.
"This large stone mansion is a striking object from the road and the elevation makes it visible from Norristown, nine miles distant."
[Hatboro soldiers monument]
p 237: "Colonel John Lacy was a Bucks Countian, . . . who commanded the militia between the rivers Schuykill and Delaware. He was . . . at Hatboro, where his camp was 'on the Byberry Road, about half a mile east of the village.'. . . On 'May 1st, 1778 a detachment of the British army from Philadelphia . . . made a sudden attack on the camp, in which about thirty Americans were killed and seventeen were wounded. . . . A handsome white marble monument, twenty feet high, was erected on the east side of York Avenue, on an elevated site, by the citizens of the neighborhood in 1861, in commemoration of those who lost their lives in this attack.' The site is a fine one and the monument draws the attention of the traveler."
p 235: "The library had its foundation in 1755, and has 10,000 volumes."
p 235: "The Academy was erected in 1811-1812 by means of a bequest of Judge Loller. The public schools are held here."
[Abington Presbyterian Church]
p 216: "The following extract is from the Philadelphia Times, of August 20th, A.D. 1892:
" 'The Little Village Church'
'. . . In one hundred and seventy-eight years but nine ministers have been connected with the church and during the first one hundred and forty-eight years death alone occasioned changes in the pastorate. . .
"On a clear summer day, ... the slender spire of the little Presbyterian Church at Abington village can be seen for miles. . . . High up in the belfry a tuneful monitor breathes its silvery peal, which is carried far down in the valley. . . .
". . . [T]he congregation responded to an eloquent appeal for funds to carry out needful improvements by subscribing $4000. This sum will be used in the enlargement of the lecture room, thus increasing facilities for Sunday school work. Bible class rooms and a parlor and kitchen are to be added, and the small instrument used in the auditorium will be replaced by a handsome pipe organ.
"This, the fifth time that Presbyterians at Abington have obeyed a preemptory call for "church room," suggests much that is interesting in the history of the old church, founded as far back as 1714.
"One hundred and seventy-eight years ago a little band of sixty-five formed a congregation at Abington, with Malachai Jones as pastor, and Abednego Thomas, Benjamin Jones, Stoffel Van Saint and Joseph Breden as elders. Five years later a long structure, the first Presbyterian meeting house in Montgomery County, was erected within the limits of the present village burial ground.
". . . In 1973 what is known as the "second church" -- this time a stone building, was erected on the site of the present edifice. . . . It was finally deemed expedient to replace this structure by an entirely new church home, and the present building was erected in 1866."
p 258 [caption reads] "This view of Graeme Park was copied from an old painting about 1775. Copied from the original by Wm. J. Buck in 1854."
p 251 "the following sketch was written by the author of this volume for the Germantown Telegraph, Philadelphia, May 27, 1885."
 In the beautiful undulating country which abounds in Eastern Pennsylvania, in the township of Horsham, . . . lies Graeme Park the ancient residence of Lieutenant-Governor Keith. As I rode by the antique mansion house, . . . its seemed to be mourning its former grandeur, and having been deprived of the outbuildings which formerly surrounded it, it naturally looked a little lonesome. Still the property has fallen into good hands, and Mr. Abel Penrose, to whom it has descended through his father, has placed a new roof on the building and kept it in fair repair, so that this historical spirit has preserved. . . .
The bunch of keys which guarded the stores is brought forward; they are attached to a hook to suspend them to a girdle, and Lady Keith may have constantly worn them, as in her short residence at this place she dispensed her provisions to her household slaves. . . . But of much greater interest is the bill of transfer, filled with special items, which marks the passage of the property from the hands of Governor Keith into those of Thomas Graeme and Thomas Soher for the consideration of [British pound sign]500. Some human goods are noted . . . [a list of slaves transferred with house follows]. Silver plate abounded . . . [a list of silver, linens, and furnishings follows].
. . . the old mansion, with its hipped roof, which is close at hand. The fish-pond is passed where Lady Fergusson used to feed the finny tribe. The fine chimneys of the house are worthy of notice, and the have been kept in repair. The long, narrow windows of the reddish stone building have an ancient look. . . .The approach at present is to the rear of the building. As the remains of one side of the jail wall are visible from the house, let us hurry. . . . The very high ceilings astonish one. The fine parlor is wainscoted with pine to the very ceiling, while an ornamental wooden cornice surmounts the wainscoting. . . . The parlor floor is the same that was first laid. Some ornamental bits of wood have been torn away by curiosity hunters, who have also carries off the tiles from an old chimney place. there are inside paneled-shutters of wood. there is a noble fire-place in the parlor, encased with marble, and there are fire-places on the second story. The hearths of the fire-places are composed of square bricks. the balustrades of the stairs are composed of fine, strong woodwork, and do not seem to feel the hand of time. Indeed, the whole building hardly indicates that the contract for its construction was given in A. D. 1721. Eighteen panes of glass adorn the lower windows, while the upper ones boast of twenty-one panes each. The fine chamber above the parlor is said to have had tapestry hung on its walls in olden time. A bit of broken wall in the attic roof discloses think mortar and laths which were split with an axe. Having glanced through the trap-door on the roof, and descended to look at the dining-room, we step out the front door over the fine old stones which form the steps, and observe the quaint bulls-eye panes over the door."
p 272: "WASHINGTON"S HEADQUARTERS.
"The American Army was here from the 10th to the 3d of August [sic], A. D. 1777. "The name f the owner of the property when the army was there is not known. Afterward Alijah Stinson became the owner, then Reuben P. Ely possessed it, and afterward William Bothwell. It was owned at my visit by his widow, Mary Bothwell, who resided in the mansion. . . .
"The ancient house in Warwick Township is of stone, plastered without. the gable stands toward the road on the right hand, a few feet from the highway. A piazza runs along the front of the farm house. The yard it higher than the turnpike, and a ha-ha wall is on the roadside.
"A newer part of the house is lower in height than the antique portion, as the building consists of two sections.
"Within the dwelling the rafters are visible, as is common in old houses. There is a famous old fire-place, now closed in, in the new part of the mansion. The walls are thick, for our predecessors did not erect houses that would tumble down in a storm.
"Washington's office had an old fire-place in it, with wood-work above it. There is a Franklin stove in it now. . . .
"There is a pleasant view of a country landscape from the open door of this room. . . .
"The wood-work and paneling in the parlor are like those seen in Southern mansions. . . .
"The old kitchen has been removed, and a new one built. . . .
"There was a mile-stone at the foot of Kerr's hill which long marked the traveler's progress as he departed from this house, or returned to it, but it is now gone.
"The steps of Washington's Headquarters are ancient stone relics, and the piazza on the main house is old. Formerly there was a porch over the lower part of the two-story house. The surrounding soil is of red sand-stone and clay."
p 286: "THE NESHAMINY PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
"Which stands in a beautiful situation on the shore of the Western Branch of the Neshaminy creek within an easy walk from Hartsville. . . .
"Rev. Dr. D. K. Turner . . . has composed an interesting volume on the history of this ancient parish, from which we condense a sketch. . . .
p 289: "The section was formerly styled the "Forks of Neshaminy." James Boydon, in 1709, owned the ground on which the church stands. . . .
"The Log College was built by Rev. William Tennent, especially to educate clergymen, on the York Road about a mile south of Hartsville. It was really a small school house. . . .
"The school began about 1726, and is supposed to have continued for fifteen or twenty years. . . . [An account of this college's importance to Princeton, where many future Neshaminy pastors studied, follows].
p 291: "Mr. Tennent held the church at Deep Run, about 12 miles from his residence, Rev. Francis McHenry assisting him in his old age, but in 1743 a new church was build, while Mr. McHenry occupied the old one in the graveyard close by. . . .
p 292: "REV. NATHANIEL IRWIN
"Became pastor of Neshaminy Church in 1774. . . .
"In 1775 the church was enlarged. . . .
p 293 "Mr. Belville . . . started a boarding and day school at Neshaminy, which he conducted for nine years. He gave a piece of ground to enlarge the graveyard. . . .
p 295: "The Hartsville Church withdrew from Neshaminy Church in 1838. . . .
p 296: "When the parishes separated, the church property was sold, and the Hartsville congregation received half the amount, and funds at interest were divided. In 1842 the Old School parish built a stone church of neat appearance in Hartsville. The site struck me as a beautiful one, and the hills in view from the graveyard make it a sweet spot to lay away the dead. . . .
"In 1842 Neshaminy Church was renovated. Gothic windows replaced the square ones, and various improvements were made. . . .
"Joseph Hart . . . . was a trustee of Neshaminy Church, and its treasurer. He bequeathed money to aid in making a sidewalk from Hartsville to the church, and to erect a marble slab to commemorate the history of the church and its pastors. . . .
p 300: "A log school house formerly stood near Neshaminy Church. It was replaced by a stone one. . . . from this school house a wall extended in a westerly direction tot he Bristol Road enclosing the burying ground on the south side.' A piece of open land adjoining contained posts for hitching horses at funerals.' In 1852 this was enclosed by a new wall. . . ."
[see also Neshaminy Cemetery Chapel]
[Neshaminy Cemetery Chapel]
p 303 "in 1872 the Cemetery Chapel was dedicated. . . . Mrs. R. H. Turner and Miss Ann Eliza Long had left legacies to aid in erecting this building."
p 359: "CINTRA
"Mr. Richard Elias Ely's beautiful dwelling in the borough of New Hope, on the hill west of the village, is on our right as we approach the town.
"It was built about the year 1816 by William Maris, who at one time visited Cintra near Losbon, the residence of the Kings of Portugal and from one of the wings of the palace obtained the design for his house.
"In 1830 the property came into the possession of Richard Randolph, of Philadelphia, who in 1834 sold it to his brother-in-law, Elias Ely, father of the present owner.
"The house was very substantially built with very thick walls, the divisions being 18 inches thick. . . .
"A good country walk leads from the town to Cintra, following the side of York Road from the built-up portion of the borough.
"There is a porter's lodge at the entrance of Cintra.
"The Mansion is of an octagon shape. The lawn is like a carpet in its verdant smoothness, and hedges guard it on two sides, though a fence in front permits occupants of Cintra to view the country.
"The dining-room is a fine one, and all the rooms have high ceilings.
"The high position, as is usual here, commands a good view."
[Old Parry House]
p 374 ". . . As viewed from the outside, , this mansion presents a most quiet and dignified appearance, in keeping with the family for whom it was built; the quaint and handsome carved stone ornamentations over the windows, small window panes, pointed corners, and hoods, betoken its age, and are charmingly attractive. over the front door remains the ancient bonnet or hood of our forefather's day, beneath which is the massive old lock and huge iron hinges which stretch across the whole width. This door opens into a wide wainscoted and paneled hall, running through the middle room, and the parlor or sitting-room on the other; in these rooms, are yet preserved (and in daily use), the corner cupboards of a hundred years ago. The upper floors are approached by low broad steps, and half way u the stairs on the broad landing, stands in one corner -- relic of a past age -- the old eight day clock, which has ticked in and out the lives of so many of the family; and still showing upon its familiar face, the moon in all its phases. Five bed chambers, most of them communicating, upon the second floor, open over the house, both in the main building and wing, are secured for the most part by long wooden bars, stretching across and fitting into the deep window frames. In most of these rooms may be seen great open mouthed chimneys and fireplaces, the brick floors of which are painted in bright tile colors. Immense closets with brass door knows, in one of these chambers fill up entirely one end of the room, taking several feet off its length; but compensating by the additional convenience afforded the family. The rooms and halls of this old mansion, contain much valued, handsome and ancient furniture, belonging to the family for several generations, much of it being elaborately carved in solid walnut and mahogany woods. Like the Potts house at Valley Forge, there is in one of the rooms on the first story a trap door in the floor leading to the cellar, which, in the writer's memory, was used as a wine cellar, but may possibly have been intended in earlier times, as a means to escape from sudden danger.
"In the great attic overhead the children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren of the original owner have often played and wondered at the contents of numerous chests, . . . since learned to have contained much linen, stuffs, and other articles of family value. And far up amid the rafters, a secret room, only reached by a long ladder, (always removed after each visit), afforded a safe hiding place for papers and such valued matter as seemed to require extra security. . . . In the wing of the mansion still swings in a capacious fire place, an ancient iron crane with its outstretched arm, at rest, after a long term of service, much prized by the family and shown visitors as a curious relic. A huge bake oven of an early period, and no longer used, in the kitchen adjoining was torn out for the lost space which was needed.
"The old Parry mansion was erected in the year 1784 for Benjamin Parry, one of the early settlers of New Hope. . . . and which stood in a triangular plot of ground at the junction of Germantown and York roads was styled the Middle English manner.
last rev.: 31 august 00 cc