The Public Buildings Or City Hall
Intersection of Broad and Market Streets, in the former Penn Squares.
"Largest and most costly municipal building in America. Has cost #23,000,000. $1,000,000 still needed to complete it. Covers 4 1/2 acres, and has 634 rooms. The tower, surmounted by Penn Statue, is 547 feet high. Clock dials are 20 feet in diameter. Penn statue is 37 feet high. Begun in 1871; corner stone laid 1874; first occupied 1881. Houses city and county offices, County Courts and State, Superior and Supreme Courts. The Penn Statue was photographed while on street floor before being raised to its lofty pedestal."
Westward, From Ninth To Broad Streets.
"This row, beginning with the Federal Building, containing the Post Office, U.S. Courts, etc., and including the structures occupied by the "Philadelphia Record," Penn Mutual Life Insurance Company and City Trust Company, is one of the chief architectural features of the city, and travelers say is not surpassed by any similar business stretch anywhere."
Westward From Third Street
"Financial district. On the left appear the Investment Co., Guarantee Trust Co., Brown Bros. & Co., Wood Building, Drexel Building, etc. On right Bank of North America, First National Bank, etc."
Benjamin Franklin Statue
Chestnut Street side of Post Office
"Boyle's strong bronze figure of Philadelphia's first Postmaster and America's first diplomat. Gift of Justus C. Strawbridge. Stands close by spot where Franklin first drew electricity from the sky."
Looking Westward to City Hall from Eleventh Street.
"At left Hood, Foulkrod & Co., Ivins, Dietz & Metzger and Wanamaker's. At right Market Street Bank, "Inquirer" and Reading Railway Station."
Leary's Old Bookstore
9 S.9th St., bet. Market and Chestnut, Opposite Post Office.
"Hon. Edwin S. Stuart, Ex-Mayor of Philadelphia, proprietor. Most extensive and best classifed second-hand bookstore in this country. Many thousands of rare, scarce and modern volumes."
Looking Northward from Market Street
"At the left is Strawbridge & Clothier's drygoods house. The view shows one of the popular shoping districts."
North Broad Street
Looking Southward to City Hall from Race Street
"At left Odd Fellows' Hall, Arch Street Methodist Church and Masonic Temple. At right Academy of Fine Arts, Fidelity Life and United Gas buildings."
Pennsylvania Railroad Station
Broad and Market Streets, opposite the Public Buildings
"Magnificent Gothic railroad station ideally appointed. A superb terminus for America's grandest railroad. To reach the centre of the city the company bought many acres of costly ground and built on elevated road of masonry a mile long. Opened December 5, 1881. Reconstructed and vastly enlarged 1893. Main building 306 feet on Broad street and 212 feet on Market. Train house 707 feet long."
Reliefs on Pennsylvania Railroad Station
Broad, N.W. cor. Broad Street.
"The station is elaborately adorned with terra cotta statuary, by Bitter, including vignettes, representing the great cities of the country; the magnificent "Progress of Transportation," in the waiting room; the panel "Progress," over the 15th Street Arch, and the fine figure pieces adorning the pediments."
Clock on Pennsylvania Railroad Station
Broad, N.W. cor. Market Sts.
"A beautiful work of art executed in tera cotta by Karl Bitter. It is illuminated at night, and, considering its artistic features and the number of people who look at it daily, is one of the most important timepieces in the city."
Market and Twelfth Sts.
"One of the world's greatest railroad stations, at the heart of a great metropolis, on its chief wholesale thoroughfare. The main building is 266 feet on Market Street and 107 on Twelfth Street. Eight stories high, of New England granite, white tera cotta and pink tinted brick. Train shed is 266 feet wide, 507 feet long. Span covers 16 tracks. part of the ground floor is a great public market."
Williams Street Wharf, Port Richmond.
"Charles M. Taylor's Sons, Managers. Elevator capacity 1,500,000 bushels. Seaboard terminus of Philadelphia & Reading Railway. Philadelphia Trans-Atlantic Line has weekly service of cargo steamships. The pier capacity 15,000 tons. The Port Richmond elevators and wharves form one of the greatest export terminals in the world for the shipment of coal, iron, grain, heavy machinery, etc."
Looking North from Chestnut St.
"This thoroughfare runs along the river front in the main part of the city. Here are the chief ferries to Camden and the piers and wharves of the various shipping lines. Here, too, are the Philadelphia terminals of the Atlantic City and South Jersey railroads. The business houses are largely identified with the city's commerce. On South Delaware Avenue are sugar refineries and other manufactories."
The Philadelphia Bourse
Fourth and Fifth Streets, between Market and Chestnut Sts.
"Only institution of its kind in America. Modeled after the great Bourses of Europe. It is the centralization of Philadelphia's powerful commercial associations. Its object is to facilitate and encourage Philadelphia trade, but also to guard American trade generally. The immense structure contains numerous banking and business offices and various commercial exchanges. Opened 1895. Building and site cost $2,000,000."
The Custom House and the Stock Exchange
Chestnut Street, Westward from Fourth St.
"This view of the financial district shows on the left the R.D. Wood building, Western National Bank, Custom House, Stock Exchange, Independence National Bank and Public Ledger. On the right Provident Life & Trust Co., Philadelphia National Bank, Farmers' & Mechanics' National Bank, etc."
The New Stock Exchange
Formerly the Marchants' Exchange, Dock, Walnut and Third Sts.
"Shows the classic spirit in architecture in the early century. Designed by William Strickland. Opened 1834 and has since been a landmark. Formerly the Stock Exchange and the Maritime Exchange. To be modernized and become again the Stock Exchange. At the right is the Girard National Bank."
National Export Exposition Buildings
West end of the South Street Bridge.
"Contains largest assembly room in this city. National Export Exposition was held here in 1899 and President McKinley was renominated in 1900. Will be the future home of the Commercial Museums."
Philadelphia Commercial Museums
Fourth Street, below Walnut.
"Collects and disseminates data of value to the national export trade. Extensive classified museums of natural products of the world. Will later occupy National Export Exposition Buildings."
Seventh Street, between Market and Chestnut.
"Founded 1824 to promote mechanic arts. Same year held the first exhibition of American manufactures. Awards medals. Publishes scientific reports. Lectures and classes in mechanics and drawing."
Master Builders' Exchange
18-24 South Seventh St.
"Permanent free exhibition of everything used in building. Association of all trades identified with building industry. A very useful institution and convenient place of meeting for contractors."
Real Estate Trust Company
Chestnut, Southeast corner Broad St.
"A great fiduciary institution in its own grand and imposing seventeen-story edifice. Chartered 1885. Capital $1,600,000. General banking and trust business and elaborate sage deposit vaults."
Girard Trust Company
Chestnut Street, Northeast corner Broad.
"On one of the finest and most valuable sites in Philadelphia stands the building of this powerful corporation, which was organized in 1836, and does all branches of banking and trust company business."
City Trust, Safe Deposit and Surety Company
927 and 929 Chestnut St.
"Besides its local trust and safe deposit business it does a National business as surety for official, personal, legal and contract bonds. Manages real estate and accepts deposits. Capital, $500,000."
United Gas Improvement Company
Broad, Northwest corner Arch St.
"A magnificent sixteen-story office building, occupied solely as headquarters of this wealthy corporation and some of its allied concerns which control this gas business of Philadelphia and other cities."
West End Trust Company
Broad St., S.W. cor., South Penn Square
"Just South of the Public Buildings, with a commanding position in a very busy centre, is the 14-story building of the West End Trust Company, capital and surplus $1,000,000. Horace A. Doan, president."
Commonwealth Title Insurance
Chestnut, N.W. cor. 12th.
"The splendid 15-story granite and gray brick edifice of the Commonwealth Title Insurance & Trust Co., chartered 1886, authorized capital $2,000,000. Henry M Decheit, president."
Mariner and Merchant Building
Chestnut Street, S.W. cor. 3d.
"Conspicuous amid its old-fashioned neighbours, a grand substantial brick and granite office building, erected 1901 by the Stephen Girard Estate on site once known as Newspaper Row. Cost $400,000."
Chestnut Street, S.E. corner 13th
"A modern 7 story office building, advantageously situated, opposite Wanamaker's, chiefly occupied by lawyers and professional men. Owned by Frank E. DeLong and the Charles F.DeLong estate."
"The Hand in Hand," 212 South 4th St.
"The Philadelphia Contributionship for the Insurance of Houses from Loss by Fire, the first fire insurance company in America, organized April 13, 1752. Benjamin Franklin one of its first directors."
The Pennsylvania Fire Insurance Co.
508 and 510 Walnut
"Incorporated 1825, the "Pennsylvania Fire," with gross assets of about $5,000,000 ranks with the oldest and staunchest fire insurance companies in America. Col. R. Dale Benson, president."
The Trust Company of North America
503-507 Chestnut St.
"In the financial centre, opp. Independence Hall. Its directors are actively identified with Philadelphia's most important interests. Capital, $1,000,000. Adam A. Stull, president; Thomas Robin, vice-president."
Philadelphia Trust, Safe Deposit & Insurance Co.
"A fiduciary institution, incorporated 1869. Capital and surplus, $3,000,000. Building erected 1874. J. Livingston Erringer, president; Wm. L. Dubois, vice-pres.; Edmund D. Scholey, sec. and treas."
The Arcade Building
"Market, Fifteenth and South Broad Sts., and South Penn Square. Covered bridge connecting with Broad Street Station of the Pennsylvania Railroad. Gigantic modern office building of the Arcade Real Estate Co., William H. Barnes, president, built largely in the interest of the Pennsylvania Railroad. Its bridge connection with the Broad Street Station and its broad arcade sidewalks are decided accommodations for railroad patrons. The arcade sidewalk permitted widening 15th Street 12 feet. Commercial Trust Co. on ground floor."
The Colonial Trust Company
2020 Chestnut St.
"A thriving, up-town banking, savings fund and safe deposit institution, in its enameled brick building, having also a depository in the 'North American.' Building on Broad Street. John O. Gilmore, president."
Mechanics' National Bank
22 and 24 South 3d St.
"Always at the same location. An old and substantial bank, with classic marble building. Capital and surplus $1,000,000. Morris Newburger, president; William H. Curtis, Jr., cashier."
Mutual Life Building
Showing 1902 extension. Chestnut St., N.W. cor. 10th.
"A handsome 10-story building, completed in 1902, owned by the Mutual Life Insurance Co. of New York. The largest insurance company in the world. Lambert & Waterhouse, managers."
The Central National Bank
109 South Fourth St.
"The Central has been continuously and successfully in business at the same place. Capital $750,000, and surplus $2,000,000. Its directors comprise foremost business men, with Theodore Kitchen, president."
Southwestern National Bank
Broad Street, S.E. corner South
"Founded 1886 by business men in the Southwestern part of the city, it has become an important and successful institution; its full paid capital is $200,000 and its surplus $70,000. In 1901 it occupied its attractive and well-appointed new building. John Gardiner, president; John T. Scott, jr., cashier."
Philadelphia Electric Company
New Electric Light and Power Station at Christian Street Wharf
"On the Schuylkill River at the Christian Street wharf is being erected a huge and wonderfully equipped electric light and power station, a part of the system of companies controlled by the Philadelphia Electric Company. Joseph B. McCail, president."
South Broad Street
Northward from Walnut Street to The City Hall
"A section of the city's widest and finest thoroughfare that is fast becoming a place of notable structures, including "skyscrapers." Five tall office buildings are seen on one side. On the other are two more, besides the Union League clubhouse and three hotels. The North America building is 22 stories high. Real estate values here reach their high-water mark."
Broad, Southeast corner of South Penn Square
"Erected by John F. Betz, capitalist and manufacturer, on site of Tabernacle Presbyterian Church. A magnificent office building. Its granite front adorned by bronze heads of U.S. Presidents."
Stephen Girard Building
12th Street, between Chestnut and Market
"An excellent office structure, built by trustees of the Estate of Stephen Girard, on part of a full block of ground owned by the Girard Estate."
Insurance Company of North America
232 Walnut St.
"Oldest stock fire insurance company in America. Organized in the State House November 3, 1792. Incorporated 1794. Capital $3,000,000. Fire, marine and inland insurance."
Fire Association of Philadelphia
407-409 Walnut St.
"Organized September 1, 1817, by volunteer fire companies. Incorporated as an insurance company, March 27, 1820, and became a joint stock company May 5, 1871. Capital $500,000. Assets $6,000,000."
Girard Fire Insurance Company
Chestnut, Northeast corner 7th St.
"Incorporated 1853. Capital $300,000. Assets $2,000,000. Stock has quadrupled in value. Yearly dividends of 24 per cent have been paid. Branch at 138 South 4th St. and agents throughout U.S."
Delaware Insurance Company of Philadelphia
Walnut, S.E. cor. 3d
"Founded 1835 with perpetual charter. Formerly mutual company, now a joint stock fire and marine insurance company. Capital $702,875. Gross assets $1,605,048. Represented throughout the country."
Pennsylvania Fire Insurance Company
510 Walnut St.
"Commenced business in April 1825. Capital; $400,000; assets, $5,171,306.21; surplus, $2,181,845.26. Agencies in the larger cities throughout the Union."
American Fire Insurance Co. of Philadelphia
308-310 Walnut St.
"Established 1810. Second oldest joint stock insurance company in Philadelphia. Assets over $2,500,000, capital $500,000, and surplus about $400,000. Moved to present site 1840. Agents everywhere."
Liverpool and London Globe Insurance Co.
333 Walnut St.
"This gigantic British Corporation, which has been represented in Philadelphia since 1851, longer than any other foreign company, built and owns this handsome office structure in the financial district."
United Firemen's Insurance Co.
419 Walnut St.
"Has a conservative successful career for forty years. Capital $200,000. Surplus $250,000. reinsurance reserve $925,000. Gross assets exceed $1,500,000. Agencies in chief cities."
University of Pennsylvania
Woodland Avenue, Westward from 34th St.
"Begun 1740. The third oldest college in the United States. Advocated by Franklin. Located upon its 55 acres are 33 buildings; others being beyond the university grounds. Has about 2,800 students, men and women. Library of 167,000 volumes. The university buildings are exceptionally handsome."
Ridge Avenue to Twenty-fifth Street, North College Avenue to South Colege Avenue
"For poor white male orphans. Founded 1831 under will of Stephen Girard. Most bountifully endowed free college in the world. Grounds cover 41 acres. Main building is finest specimen of Corinthian architecture in America, and cost nearly $2,000,000. Modeled after Parthenon at Athens. 14 buildings."
Central High School for Boys
Broad Street, Southwest corner of Green
"An ideal modern high school, 60 class rooms, gymnasiums, etc. The domes contain the apparatus and 15-inch telescope of Philadelphia Observatory."
Academy of Natural Sciences
Nineteenth and Race
"Dates from 1812. Its collections in some departments are equaled only by the British Museum."
William Penn Charter School
Twelfth, between Market and Chestnut
"The oldest and highest grade college preparatory school in Pa. Founded 1689. Chartered by Penn, 1711."
Philadelphia Normal School for Girls
Spring Garden and 13th
"Girls' High School graduates are trained here to teach in public schools. Attendance exceeds 500."
Thirty-second and Chestnut Sts.
"Courses in art, science and industries. Day and night classes. Library, museum, manuscript and art collection. Fine hall and great organ."
The Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts
Broad and Cherry Sts.
"Founded in 1805. The oldest art schools in the country. Permanent and annual exhibitions. Most comprehensive collection of works by early Americans."
School of Industrial Art of the Pennsylvania Museum
Broad Street, Northwest corner Pine.
"Thorough instruction in all branches of Fine and Applied Art. Weaving, dyeing, etc. Largest textile school in America."
Ridgway Branch of the Library Co. of Philadelphia
Broad Street, from Christian to Carpenter Sts.
"Finest example of Doric architecture in America. Contains the Loganian collection. Founded by Dr. James Rush. Tomb of himself and his wife is here."
Memorial Hall, Fairmount Park
Off Parkside Avenue, between 42d and 43d
"This majestic marble building remains from Centennial Exhibition of 1876. Then the Art Gallery, now repository of the Pennsylvania Museum, etc."
Tenth, between Market and Chestnut
"Founded 1821. 190,000 rare and current books. Reading and chess rooms. Owns its extensive building."
Musical Fund Hall
Locust between Eighth and Ninth
"Malibran, Sonntag, Jenny Lind, Grisi, Ole Bull, Goldschmidt appeared here. Lafayette received, 1824. The accoustic properties of the hall are excellent."
Broad Street, between Spruce and Locust Sts.
"Most beautiful public assumbly rooms in the city. Elaborate interior ornamental and unique exterior mural decorations. Owned by the Pennsylvania Horticultural Society, which holds flower shows here."
American Philosophical Society
Fifth, between Chestnut and Walnut
"The oldest scientific society in America. Founded in 1743. Franklin was its first president."
H. Josephine Widener Memorial Library
Broad St. and Girard Ave.
"Peter A.B. Widener presented his house and a large number of books to the Free Library."
Historical Society Of Pennsylvania
Locust Street, Southwest corner 13th
"Former mansion of the late General Robert Patterson. Occupied since 1884 by the Society, which was organized 1824. Valuable books, manuscripts, etc., connected with local, state and National history."
Library Company of Philadelphia
Locust Street, Southeast corner of Juniper
"Oldest circulating library in the country. Founded by Franklin and his "Junta" Associates, 1731. Occupied present building since 1880. Has about 200,000 volumes. The reading rooms are free."
Witherspoon Building, Presyterian Board Of Publication
Walnut and Sansom Streets, corner of Juniper.
"Home of the Presbyterian Sunday Schools and societies. Names in honor of Rev. John Witherspoon, signer of Declaration of Independence."
Crozer Building, American Baptist Publication Society
1420 Chestnut Street
"At 1420 Chestnut Street, where the American Baptist Publication Society and other Baptist organizations have their headquarters. Building bears the name of a generous Baptist family."
Broad Street, Northeast Corner of Filbert St.
"One of the finest Masonic Temples in the world. Pure Norman achitecture. Main tower 250 feet high. Contains several magnificent lodge rooms, each finished in a distinct style. Cost $1,750,000."
Odd Fellows' Temple
Broad Street, Southeast corner of Cherry
"The Independent Order of Odd Fellows, which is very strong in this city, has in this structure the finest Odd Fellows' Hall in America. Its luxurious halls are adapted to all lodge purposes."
American Sunday School Union
1122 Chestnut St.
"Incorp. 1845. Organizes Sunday Schools where there are none. Publishes helpful literature."
"Marble group by Ezekiel. Erected by the Hebrew Society, B'nai B'rith, in 1875. East front of Horticultural Hall."
Philadelphia College Of Pharmacy
130-145 N. 10th
"Oldest and largest college of pharmacy in the world. Organized 1821, and built present structure 1892. Has published the Journal of Pharmacy since 1825."
Episcopal Church House
Walnut Street, Northeast corner of Twelfth
"Offices of the Bishop of the Diocese of Pennsylvania and of various other church officials and boards. One-seventh of the Philadelphia churches are Episcopal."
Women's Christian Association
Arch Street, Southwest corner of 18th
"What the Y.M.C.A. is to young men this organization is to young women. The large building erected for its many uses and is the home of many self-supporting girls."
Young Men's Christian Association
Chestnut, Southeast corner 15th
"One of the oldest institution of its class in America. Organized in 1853. Incorporated 1857. In extent and equipment it is the third in the world. Building, 230 ft. long, 72 wide. A very useful institution."
Lutheran Publication Society
1424 Arch Street
"The Publication House and Church Headquarters of the Lutheran General Synod. Issues are sells Lutheran Church and Sunday-school literature."
The Philadelphia National Bank
421 Chestnut St.
"Organized 1803. National Bank, 1864. Has occupied since 1859 massive granite building. One of the city's foremost banks.Capital, $1,500,000; surplus and undivided profits, $1,800,000."
Farmer's and Mechanics' National Bank
427 Chestnut Street
"For many years has handled the city's bond issues. Founded 1807 and incorporated 1809. Capital $2,000,000, largest held by any bank in Philadelphia. Surplus, $650,000"
The Market Street National Bank
1107 Market Street
"Located at the junction of the wholesale and retail mercantile section, within a few steps of the Reading Terminal, and adjoining the Philadelphia Inquirer. Capital $500,000. Surplus $150,000."
Independence National Bank
Chestnut Street, South side, East of 5th
"Its handsome modern structure, with elaborately carved front, adjoins the Drexel Building. A conservative thriving bank. Established 1883. Capital, $500,000. Surplus, $300,000."
Girard National Bank
Third Street, below Chestnut Street
"Its beautiful classic building, owned by Girard Estate, was erected 1795 for the first bank of the United States. In its Stephen Girard carried on his own bank until 1832. Ocupied by the Girard Bank and Girard National Bank from 1832 to date."
Penn National Bank
Market Street Southwest corner of 7th
"Incorporated as the Penn Township Bank in 1828 with capital of $500,000. Started at 6th and Callowhill Streets. Fifty years at 6th and Vine Streets. Now on the site of the lodging house in which Jefferson wrote Declaration of Independence. Substantial thriving bank."
Corn Exchange National Bank
Chestnut, Notheast corner 2d Street
"Incorporated as State Bank 1858, as National Bank in 1864. Commands patronage of leading business houses, especially in grain, grocery, provision and wool trades. One of the city's largest banks. Capital, $500,000. Resources, $13,000,000. Its new buidling, completed in 1901, is an elegant modern bank."
Western National Bank
Chestnut Street, South Side, West of 4th
"When chartered in 1832 it located in Market Street west of Ninth. Has been in its present building since 1847. It is the first building east of the United States Custom House. Capital, $400,000. Surplus and profits, $250,000. Assets, $4,000,000."
The Bank Of North America
307 Chestnut Street
"Oldest bank in the country and one of the most substantial. Chartered by Congress in 1781 and has continued ever since under the same name. Capital, $1,000,000. Surplus and profits, $1,800,000."
Fidelity Insurance, Trust And Safe Deposit Co.
"Incorporated 1866. General trust and banking business; receives deposits of money and valuables, rents, burglar-proof vaults. Eminent business men are its directors. Capital, $2,000,000; surplus, $3,000,000."
Brown Brothers & Co., Bankers
Southeast Corner Fourth and Chestnut Sts.
"Founded in 1798. Deal in exchange; issue letters of credit; make high-grade investments; negotiate loans; receive deposits and transact a general banking business."
Columbia Avenue Saving Fund, Safe Deposit, Title & Trust Co.
Broad Street and Columbia Avenue.
"Capital $400,000. General banking, trust, savings bank, safe deposit and titlte insurance departments. Tenth National Bank occupies part of main floor."
The Pennsylvania Company For Insurances On Lives And Granting Annuities
517 Chestnut St.
"Organized 1809 with capital of $500,000, now $2,000,000. Shares $100 par value, worth $500. Has done a trust business since 1835, and was empowered to act as executor in 1853. Transacts a general banking, trust and safe deposit business. Immediately opposite Independence Hall."
Guarantee Trust Company
316-330 Chestnut St.
"Occupies a structure of striking appearance. Surrounded by Streets and Carpenters' Hall. Chartered May 24, 1871. Capital, $1,000,000."
Charles D. Barney & Co., Bankers And Brokers
122-124 South 4th Street, Corner Library
"Members of the Philadelphia Stock Exchange and also the New York Stock Exchange. Successors to the famous banking house founded by Jay Cooke, who did much to uphold the credit of the United States Government during the Civil War. Their banking house is a centre of the financial district."
First National Bank
315-319 Chestnut Street
"The first national bank chartered by the United States - Jan. 10, 1863, with $250,000, capital; now $1,000,000. One of Philadelphia's staunchest bank."
Real Estate Title Insurance And Trust Company
523 Chestnut Street, opposite Independence Hall
"Oldest Title Trust Company in the world. Capital $1,000,000. Incorporated 1876, to ensure titles to real estate, mortgages, etc. Also general trust and deposit business. Its deep and commodious buildings, immediately opposite Independence Hall, has an elaborate ornate marble front."
City Hall Tower View Of Philadelphia
Looking Southward from City Hall Tower
"At foot of Broad Street, where the Schuylkill joins the Delaware, is League Island Navy Yard. In the foreground Academy of Music, Walton, Strafford, Bellevue and Lafayette Hotels, Union League, Crozer, West End Land Title, and Real Estate Trust, Girard Trust, and Betz buildings."
City Hall Tower View Of Philadelphia
Looking Westward from City Hall Tower
"Pennsylvania Railroad Station, Harrison Building and the long lines of rails stretching out across the river are the most prominent objects in the picture. Several of the Schuylkill's 18 bridges, Aldine Hotel, West Philadelphia Market, Drexel Institute and Export Exhibition Building may be located."
City Hall Tower View Of Philadelphia
Looking Eastward from City Hall Tower
"In the foreground are seen the Reading Terminal, the Windsor Hotel and Lippincott Building. The view covers a section of the city from the City Hall to the Delaware River. The Delaware River is in the distance and the horizon is Camden."
City Hall Tower View Of Philadelphia
Looking Northward from City Hall Tower
"Shows Broad Street abounding in traffic and pleasure vehicles. In the foreground the Lutheran and Methodist churches, United Gas Improvement Company structure, Masonic Temple, Odd Fellows' Hall, etc. Beyond are the Catholic High School, Baldwin Locomotive Works, Spring Garden Institute, etc."
The Provident Life And Trust Company
401-409 Chestnut Street
"Incorporated in 1865 with perpetual charter. Transacts life insurance, trust and safe deposit business. Assets, $35,000,000. Agents throughout the United States."
Penn Mutual Life Insurance
921-925 Chestnut Street
"Purely mutual. Organized 1847. Has occupied same site since 1866. Present edifice erected 1890. One of the oldest, largest and best companies in America. Assets exceed $40,000,000. 75,000 policy holders."
Manhattan Life Insurance Company Of N.Y.
Walnut S.E. cor. 4th
"A prominent New York life insurance corporation owning this notably handsome structure in Philadelphia and the Manhattan Life Building, one of the tallest and most notable buildings in New York."
Mutual Life Insurance Co. Of New York
N.W. cor. 10th St.
"Largest financial corporation in the world. Assets over $300,000,000; policy in force exceed $1,000,000,000. The double building forms one of the largest and most valuable local office structures."
Union League Club
Broad, Southwest corner Sansom
"Largest and most influential in the city. Famous paintings. Choice library. Organized during the Civil War, it assisted the Union cause by forming ten regiments and distributing documents."
Walnut, Northwest corner 13th
"Oldest and most exclusive social organization in the city. Formed in 1834. Its membership consists of men of family and position. An old-fashioned clubhouse, comfortably appointed."
Walnut Street, above Broad
"An important organization formed of the leading manufacturers and businessmen guarding the city's interests. Its annual dinner is a notable event. Its fine clubhouse is beautifully appointed."
Athletic Club Of Philadelphia
1626-1628 Arch Sreet
"The successor to the Athletic Club of the Schuylkill Navy, which built this thoroughly appointed and handsome clubhouse. Is one of the most popular local organization of its kind."
St. George's Hall
Arch Street, Southwest corner 13th
"Formerly the marble palace of Matthew Newkirk, was bought, altered and occupied by St. George's Society in 1876. The Society was founded 1772 to assist Englishmen in distress."
Broad Street, between Walnut and Locust.
"An influential organization of artists and citizens. Exhibition of paintings are given here several times a year. Sumptuously appointed. A fine art gallery and art library."
Philadelphia Country Club
Edge of Fairmount Park, at Bala
"Started 1890 as a riding and driving club. Introduced polo into this country. Has first golf links which are now the finest in the East. 725 members, with long waiting list."
1811 Walnut Street
"Originally the Social Art Club, one of the city's most commodious clubs. The marble front clubhouse was reconstructed and enlarged in 1901. The library, which contains 6,000 volumes, has many choice works."
University of Pennsylvania
"An ideal memorial erected in honor of students of the Univ. of Penna., who fought and fell in the war with Spain. The Tower connects the new dormitories surrounding two large courts."
Twenty Second Street and North College Avenue
"This building is one part of the successful institution, for the treatment of women and children, that is affiliated with the Women's Medical College, the oldest school of its class in the world."
Manayunk National Bank
Main and Levering Streets, Manayunk
"Started as a State bank in 1871, it has filled an important place in a prosperous manufacturing suburb. Capital, $200,000; surplus, $200,000. In 1902 its ornate fireproof granite bank building was completed."
Broad Street, N.W. corner Oxford
"One of the most popular and influential up-town social organization, with over 400 members, representative manufacturers, merchants and professional men. It has a modern and unique club house."
Haverford, Delaware County, Pa. 9 miles west of Philadelphia.
"Started as Haverford School in 1833, in present Founders' Hall. Became a college in 1856. A noted institution named from the home of the early Welsh Quaker immigrants. Haverford has long been the leading college of the orthodox branch of the Society of Friends, in endowment, equipment and standing. It ranks in scholarship with the best colleges of the country. Its grand campus has 60 acres of unusual beauty. President, Isaac Sharpless, Sc. D., L.L.D."
Bryn Mawr College
Bryn Mawr. 5 miles west of Philadelphia on Main line of Pennsylvania Railroad.
"Founded in 1880. Opened in 1885. Endowed by Joseph W. Taylor, with $1,500,000. One of the youngest colleges for higher education for women, but ranks with the highest. Beautiful grounds of 52 acres surround the fine, ivy-covered Jacobean stone buildings. President, Miss M. Carey Thomas, Ph.D, L.L.D., a most talented woman. Philip C. Garrett, president of trustees, prominent in reforms and philantrophy."
Swarthmore, Delaware County, Pa. 11 miles from Philadelphia.
"Founded in 1869 by the Society of Friends, Swarthmore is today their representative institution. Beautifully situated and well equipped for courses in engineering, sciences, letters and the arts. The college is co-educational. From its elevation the site is especially attractive. The grounds and campus comprise 240 acres."
Ogontz School For Young Ladies
Spring Ave., Ogontz. Fomerly home of Jay Cooke
"One of America's choicest high class private schools for young ladies. Miss Sylvia J. Eastman, principal. Opened Sept. 27, 1883. In succession of Chestnut Street Seminary, founded in 1850. Situated on a wooded height 500 feet above the river. The beautiful grounds comprise 40 acres of lawn and forest."
The Baldwin School For Girls
Near Bryn Mawr College, Bryn Mawr, 10 miles, N.W. of Philadelphia, Penn. R.R.
"A high-class preparatory school conducted by Miss Florence Baldwin, a well-known educator. Its pupils readily gain admission to the foremost colleges, many of them entering Bryn Mawr College. In the summer season the beautiful and commodious building is occupied as 'Bryn Mawr Hotel'."
The Museum Of Archaeology Of The Free Museum Of Science And Art, University Of Pennsylvania
33d and South Streets
"Part of group of buildings, the ultimate cost being estimated at $2,250,000, to cover nearly 12 acres mainly given in trust by the city. American antiquities have been presented by John Wanamaker, Dr. Wm. Pepper, Mrs. Phoebe Hearst, et al. The Babylonian section, the finest in America, ranks after those in the British Museum and the Louvre. There are fine Egyptian and ethnological collection."
Chestnut Street, Northeast corner of Thirty-second street
"The Institute was founded by the late Anthony J. Drexel in 1890 and was opened in 1892. There are ten departments of instruction. The library, museum, and picture gallery - important features of the Institute - are open free to the public. The buildings, equipments, and collections cost over $2,000,000. James MacAllister (Superintendent of Philadelphia's Public School 1881-1894), is president."
Queen Lake Pumping Station
East River Drive, Fairmount Park
"In Fairmount Park is the finest of the city's pumping stations on the Schuylkill River. Contains four magnificent pumps, with an aggregate daily capacity of 80,000,000 gallons."
The Springfield Water Company
Operated by the American Pipe Company. Reservoir and Pumping Station, near Media.
"The Springfield Water Company, one of the numerous companies operated by the American Pipe Manufacturing Company, has two divisions - the Springfield and the Bryn Mawr. These supply water to the various suburban section lying south and west of Philadelphia. Joseph W. Hawley is the president and Joseph S. Keen, Jr., vice-president."
Houston Hall, University Of Pennsylvania
[34xx Spruce St.]
"The students' and graduates' club house, a useful and beautiful stone edifice, erected in 1895, by the late Henry Howard Houston, a University trustee, in memory of his son, H. H. Houston, Jr."
Hayes Mechanics' Home
Belmont Avenue, near City Line
"For aged, infirm or disabled American mechanics. Founded by George Hayes, 1858. Has a well-equipped workshop for recreation of the inmates."
Spring Garden Institute
Broad and Spring Garden Streets
"Schools in art, mechanics and electricity, with day and night classes. 500 night pupils taught for nominal fees. Established 1851. Library 15,000 volumes. Takes high rank as technical institute."
Pennsylvania Railroad Bridge Over Schuylkill River And Schuylkill Canal
"Crosses through a corner of Fairmount Park immediately north Girard Avenue. Is a portion of the connecting railway built in 1866 to join the main line and New York divisions. In October, 1897, the old iron span was replaced by the present much heavier span of steel. The old one was pushed out and the new one shored in its place in 2 1/2 minutes, without delaying a train."
Pennsylvania R.R. Department, Y.M.C.A.
40th Street Station, P.R.R.
"Branch of the Young Men's Christian Association for employees of the Pennsylvania Railroad. A magnificent property, admirably appointed. One of two best kindred buildings in the world."
Fairmount Avenue, from Corinthian Avenue to 22d St.
"Most famous instutition of its class. Occupies 11 acres and was built 1823-29. Its system of solitary confinement was unfavorably viewed by Dickens in his "American Notes." Is locally known as Cherry Hill."
Church Of The Epiphany
Chestnut Street, Northwest corner of 15th
"Consecrated 1834 under the rectorship of Rev. Stephen H. Tyng, formerly of St. Paul's Church, of which the Epiphany congregation was an offspring. Sold to John Wanamaker for $600,000, the parish joining St. Luke's."
The New United States Mint
Spring Garden, Buttonwood, 16th and 17th Streets.
"Largest, finest and most completely equipped mint building in the world. To be completed in 1901. Three times the capacity of the old mint on Chestnut Street. Cost of building and ground, $2,000,000, including $400,000 for mechanical equipment. The modern machinery run by individual electric motors receiving current from a central plant of 900 horse power. Gas plant can make 25,000 cubic feet per hour to heat the annealing furnace. Finest apartment is for the coin and medal collection. It is 40 feet square, with domed ceiling 40 feet high, walls of polished marble. Storage vaults for coin and bullion are of great size and strength. Occupies Bush Hill hospital site."
The Old United States Mint
Chestnut Street, Northwest corner of Juniper, Showing Penn Statue on City Hall
"This, the second Mint building, was first occupied 1833. The first one is still standing in 7th street above Market. The coinage here amounts to about 150,000,000 pieces a year. The cabinet contains most valuable collection of coin and medals in the country. It may become a public library."
United States Custom House
Chestnut Street, South side, between 4th and 5th
"Also contains the United States Sub-Treasury. Built to house the United States Bank. Modeled after the Parthenon at Athens. Corner stone laid 1819. Finished 1824, and bought for Custom House in 1845. First Custom House was in Carpenter Hall; the second one in Second Street."
United States Post Office And Federal Building
Ninth, Chestnut and Market Street.
"Ground broken, Oct. 11, 1873. First occupied March, 1884. Stands on sites of the President's Mansion erected 1797, but never occupied by President Adams, and of University of Pennsylvania. Built of granite in French Renaissance style at a cost of $7,262,487.77. Contains United States Courts and other Federal departments. A huge five-story granite edifice with dome 165 feet above street. Ninth Street front is 425 feet, Chestnut and Market fronts, 175 feet."
The Union Trust Company
715-719 Chestnut St.
"Exceptionally fine facilities for trust, banking and safe deposit business. Highly ornate stone, fireproof building, on site of the old Masonic Temple. Capital, $500,000. Surplus, $250,000."
R.D. Wood Building
Southwest corner 4th and Chestnut
"The favorite and pioneer office buiding of Philadelphia, the first modern office building in the city, on the site of original Philadelphia bank. Named from Richard D. Wood."
Bird's Eye View Of Philadelphia In 1900
Showing The Main Part Of The City, The Delaware River Front, And The Winding Schuylkill With Its Bridges.
"Drawn by Richard W. Rummell for 'King's Philadelphia Views.' This gives an adequate idea of the central part of the Quaker City, which lies principally between the Delaware and Schuylkill River. Beyond the Schuylkill West Philadelphia extends for three and a half miles. Originally the city, laid out by William Penn, was a strip of mile wide, extending between the two navigable rivers. It is now from five to ten miles wide and twenty-two miles long. The Delaware River has a deep water front on nineteenth miles, and the Schuylkill fourteen and a half miles, spanned by eighteen bridges. The enormous shipbuilding carries along its banks causes the Delaware to be called the 'Clyde of America.' Here many of the greatest warships were built. Across the Delaware is the city of Camden, New Jersey, a point of which appears on the foreground. The island shown is Perry's Island. League Island, with its modern Navy naval station, is at south end of city."
Independence Hall And Liberty Bell
Chestnut Street, between 5th and 6th Streets
"Built in 1731 for a State House, and so occupied until 1799, when the capital moved from the city. In the East Room the Declaration of Independence was adopted and signed; also the Articles of Confederation and the Constitution of the United States. Restored 1833 and 1898, and excepting the towers appears in 1776. Liberty Bell cracked telling the death of Chief Justice Marshall."
Jefferson Medical College
Walnut, Northwest corner of 10th
"One of the most famous medical schools in America. Founded in 1835. Mnay pre-eminent physicians and surdeons are identified with its history."
Fifth Street, between Sansom and Walnut
"Oldest institution of its class in United States. Established 1786. Present building opened 1801. Includes an Obstetrical and Eye and Ear department. Medicines free."
8th, 9th, Spruce and Pine Streets
"First Hospital established in American colonies. Chartered by Provincial Assembly. Opened in 1752. A noble and picturesque group of hospital structures."
Christ Church Hospital
48th Street and Belmont Avenue
"Founded 1772 to support poor women of the Church of England, especially clergyman's widows. Founded by Dr. John Kennedy. Accomodates 100 inmates."
Hamilton Street, 20th to 21st Streets
"Lying-in hospital for 'indigent married women of good moral character.' Endowed with $250,000 by Dr. Jonas Preston, 1836, but not opened until 1866."
Hahnemann Medical College And Hospital
Broad to 15th above Race
"Leading and oldest homeopathic institution in the United States. Hospital, Dispensary and College. Organized in 1848. Formerly on Flibert Street."
Medico-Chirurgical College And Hospital
Cherry, 17th to 18th
"Organized 1849, but for many years made little progress. Since 1881 it has become one of the most energetic and flourishing medical institutions. It has a group of new and attractive buildings."
Women's Homeopathic Association Of Pa. Hospital
20th St. and Susquehanna Ave.
"Has medical, surgical and maternity wards, under control of woman managers. A beautiful building. Well appointed. Free and pay patients."
Mary J. Drexel Home
South College Avenue
"One of America's noblest philantrophies. Opposite Girard College. Lutheran Mother-House for Deaconeses Children's Hospital, Home for Aged and Girls' School, endowed by John D. Lankenau in memory of his family."
Roman Catholic High School
Broad, Northeast corner of Vine
"Three story marble building with tower at corner. Outgrowth of bequest by Thomas E. Cahill, Ex-President of Knickerbocker Ice Company. Gives a semi-industrial and scientific education."
Methodist Episcopal Hospital
Broad Street, Wolf to Ritner
"Opened 1892. Founded on a bequest by Dr. Scott Stewart, a Philadelphia physician, who died 1881. Non-sectarian, open to all classes and free to the indigent."
Presbyterian Home For Aged Couples And Aged Men
"The youngest of several institutions of its class conducted by the Presbyterian Church. Has a beautiful suburban location. Supported from legacies and voluntary contributions collected through churches. Founded in 1885."
Philadelphia Hospital And Blockley Almshouse
34th and Pine
"Administration building of the city's great relief and refuge institution. About 130 acres, with large and commodious structures. The Hospital, founded 1732, is the oldest in the country."
Methodist Home For The Aged
Belmont Avenue and Monument Road
"Liberally endowed and well conducted, as is the Methodist Episcopal Orphanage, located near it. Founded in 1867. Formerly located on Lehigh Avenue below Broad Street."
39th and Filbert Streets
"Founding inspired by committee on hospitals of Prebyterian Alliance of 1870. Has received many munificent figts. Occupies the whole square."
Holy Trinity Episcopal Church
Walnut and 19th St.
"In Rittenhouse Square, centre of fashionable residence section. Among its notable rectors have been Bishops Phillip Brooks, Jaggar and McVickar."
Walnut Street Presbyterian Church
W. of 39th
"Congregation organized 1840 by the residents of choicest section of West Philadelphia. One of the largest and most influential churches."
St. Luke's Epsicopal Church
Main and Coulter Streets, Germantown
"First Episcopal parish in Germantown. Organized 1811. Present church consecrated 1876. Parish house is a few years older. A charming group of buildings."
St. Michael's Lutheran Church
Main and Phil-Ellena Sts., Germantown
"First German Lutheran Congregation in Pennsylvania, organized 1730. British soldiers occupied the old church building during the Revolution. English services begun 1813."
Church Of The New Jerusalem
Chestnut, N.E. corner 22d street
"A handsome church costing with grounds over $150,000. Earliest American promulgation of Swedenborg's doctrines in Philadelphia, 1784, led to organization. American headquarters of New Church Tract Publication."
Trinity Methodist Church
Mt. Vernon and 15th
"Its interior is fitted up in modern style, with a fine organ. It is occupied by one of the leading uptown congregations."
St. Paul's Ref'd Episcopal Church
Chestnut,W. of 21st
"Has for its rector the Bishop of the Diocese, and is the leading congregation of its denomination in Philadelphia."
First Baptist Church
17th, S.E. Corner Sansom
"Congregation formed in 1698 at the Barbadoes Store, Second and Chestnut. Forty years at Broad and Arch streets. Present church opened Oct., 1900."
Lutheran Church Of Holy Communion
Broad, S.W. cor. of Arch Street
"Congregation formed 1871 by members of St. John's, the first English Lutheran Church is America. Has beautiful stained glass windows, and a pipe organ of remarkable quality."
Cathedral Of St. Peter And St. Paul
18th, facing Logan Square
"An imposing structure of cruciform shape in Roman-Corinthian style. Corner stone laid 1846. Blessed 1864. Consecrated 1890. Archbishop Wood, under whom it was finished, is buried in the crypt."
St. Chrysostom Episcopal Church
Dauphin Street, Corner of 22d
"One of the newest and most unique churches in the city. Erected 1900. Its imposing dome was coped from one of the famous London edifices built by Christopher Wren."
The Baptist Temple
Broad Street, Southeast corner of Berks
"Home of Grace Baptist Congregation, the best example of the institutional church in America. Built through the effots of Russell H. Conwell. The church founded Temple College, whose building adjoins."
Broad Street, above Columbia Avenue
"Synagogue of the leading Reformed Jewish congregation of th city, and the finest building of its class. Has a campanile 120 feet high and glass central dome."
First Unitarian Church
Chestnut Street, East of 22d
"This congregation, first of the denomination in America, was formed by Dr. Joseph Priestley, in 1796. Its first church stood at 10th and Locust streets. Rev. Dr. Wm. H. Furness was pastor more than fifty years."
Tabernacle Presbyterian Church
Chestnut, Southwest corner of 37th
"Beautiful example of English decorated Gothic architecture. The manse is connected by a cloistered walk. The previous church stood in Penn Square where the Betz Building is now."
Episcopal Church Of The Advocate
Diamond and 18th
"Erected as a memorial to George W. South by members of his family. An excellent example of Gothic architecture. The interior stone work is elaborately carved."
Armory Of First City Troops
23d Street, above Chestnut
"Organized 1774. Rendered distinguished service in the Revoluition. Washington certiied to its discipline, spirit and bravery. Prominent young Philadelphians. New Armory built 1900-1901."
Mercantile Club And North Broad Street
South from Jefferson St.
"Showing the Mercantile Club and residences. Broad Street is 113 feet wide and twelve miles long. Eight miles are laid in asphalt."
G.A.R. Avenue Of Fame At Night
"One of the decorated features incidental to the National Encampment of the G.A.R. in 1899. At night it was electically illuminated, as was also the City Hall, and made an effective perspective."
Pennsylvania Institution For The Instruction Of The Blind
"Exceptionally picturesque structures. Institution founded 1833. Occupied building at 20th and Race Streets 65 years. The blind - mainly State supported - are taught English branches and other industries. Probably the oldest blind institution in this country. It aims to make the pupils self-supporting. It is said to have trained more professional teachers of the blind than any other institution in the United States."
Belmont Cricket Club's Grounds
49th Street Station, Pennsylvania Railroad
"Philadelphia has long been known as the home of cricket in the United States, and whatever favor the English game has had in this country has been due to its enthusiasts. In 1840 the oldest club was organized here, and now there are no less than a dozen clubs, the "Philadelphia," "Germantown," "Manheim," "Merion," etc. There is a yearly International Match. Belmont Club was organized 1872."
Naval Parade, National Encampment Of Grand Army Of The Republic
1899, on the Delaware River
"A panoramic and thrilling feature of the National Encampment of the G.A.R. in September, 1899, was the naval parade and review. The battleships Indiana, Massachusetts and Texas and the cruisers New York and Brooklyn, commanded by Admiral Sampson, anchored in the Delaware in front of the city, and on September 8 a long line of gaily decked river craft sailed around the squadron."
United States Naval Home
Gray's Ferry, Corner of Bainbridge Street
"One of the homes for old navy pensioners supported by the Federal Government. The grounds were purchased 1826 and buildings occupied 1831. U.S. Naval Academy occupied part of the building until 1845, when it was removed to Annapolis. U.S. Naval Hospital is on the grounds."
Across the Schuylkill at Strawberry Mansion
"Built by Fairmount Park Trolley Co. in 1898 to tap with its belt line around the park, the East Park. The trolley line is 7 miles long, with termini at Elm Avenue entrance and Strawberry Avenue. It is a handy method of reaching popular places in West Park."
Girard Avenue Bridge
Across the Schuykill River
"This double-decked iron structure, when it was finished, 1874, was considered the finest and widest viaduct in the world. It is 100 feet wide and cost about $1,500,000. The favorite connecting link between the East and West Park, and the scene of municipal fireworks display."
United States Arsenal
Frankford, Tacony Road and Bridge Street
"This great establishment for the manufacture of small arms and field artillery ammunition for the army occupies a beautiful park-like tract of 62 1/2 acres, fronting on Frankford Creek close to the Delaware River."
url = http://www.brynmawr.edu/Acads/Cities/iconog/king/info.html; last rev. = 18 Aug. 1998