Old Swede's Church
Swanson, Below Christian
"'Gloria Dei.' Oldest building in Philadelphia. Built 1700. Ancient and quaint burial yard, prettily installed."
St. Peter's Church
Pine, Southwest corner 3d
"Erected 1758-61 by members and vestry of Christ Church. Commodore Decatur and other distinguished people buried here."
Second, Above Market
"Where Colonial Governors and Presidents Washington and Adams worshipped. First building 1695. Most of present building 1727."
Betsy Ross House
239 Arch Street
"First American flag with thirteen stars was made here, 1777, by Mrs. Ross, who designed the five-pointed stars."
Fifty-fourth Street, East of Woodland Avenue
"Built by the great American botanist, 1731. The estate is now a park. Many rare varieties of trees are to be found in this garden."
Arch Street, S.E. corner Fifth
"In Christ Church Burying Ground. It is covered by a simple flat stone. Here are buried Benjamin and Deborah Franklin, their son Francis F. and daughter Sarah Bache."
Fairmount Park, West End of Girard Avenue Bridge
"William Penn occupied it during his visits. Removed in 1880 from Letitia Street. Served as the Province State House. First brick building in Philadelphia. Built 1682-83."
Main Street, above Johnson, Germantown
"Scene of the Battle of Germantown, 1777. The Americans unsuccessfully attacked the British. House still held by Chew family and retains its original appearance."
Market and Seventh
"On Penn National Bank front marks the place where Jefferson lived and drafted the Declaration of Indepedence."
Chestnut, near 4th
"Built 1770. First Continental Congress, with delegates from eleven colonies, met here in 1774. Collection of colonial relics."
St. George's Meth. Epis. Church
4th St. below Vine
"Oldest Methodist Church building in the world. Dedicated 1760. Once occupied by British troops as riding school."
St. Luke's Epiphany Epis. Church
13th St. below Spruce
"St. Luke's opened 1839. Bishop Howe, rector 25 years. United with Epiphany Church in 1898. Rev. Dr. Thos. A. Tidball, rector."
St. Paul's Prot. Epis. Church
3d St. below Walnut
"Third Episcopal Church erected in Philadelphia (1761). Modernized 1832. A mission of St. Peter's. Edwin Forrest buried in the churchyard."
'Mom' Rinker's Rock
"Near Kitchen's Lane, surmounted by Penn Toleration Statue. Bears name of reputed woman spy for Washington's army."
St. Clement's Episcopal Church
20th Street, S.W. cor. Cherry
"Built in 1854 by friends of Rev. T.H. Spackman, the first rector. Highest Episcopal church services in the city. The original tall spire became unsafe and was removed about 30 years ago. Enlarged in 1902."
Bethany Church And Sunday School
Bainbridge Street, S.E. Cor. 22nd
"America's most glorious Sunday School; one of Philadelphia's greatest sights. Started in 1858 by John Wanamaker, here since its Superintendent. 3000 scholars with an endless amount of fervent activity. Church org'd in 1865."
First Presbyterian Church
Seventh Street South and Washington Square
"Erected 1821. Congregation dates from 1698 or earlier. This its third location. In the rear is Sunday School, Library and Parish Building; erected in memory of Albert Barnes, Pastor, 1830-67."
'Old Laurel Hill'
"In charge of Colonial Dames of America. A fine Colonial house, built 1748 and bought 1760 by Francis Rawle, of Philadelphia, in whose family it remained for 68 years, passing in 1828 to Dr. Philip Syng Physick; thence to his descendants, the Randolph."
St. Augustine's Cath. Church
4th and New Sts.
"Dedicated 1801. Parish organized 1796. Building burned in native American riots of 1844. Present church consecrated 1848."
Broad below Spruce
"A handsome Gothic church completed 1901, named for three noted Presbyterian clergy, John Chambers, Samuel B. Wylie, Theodore W.J. Wylie"
Trinity Memorial Episcopal Church or "Church of the Beautiful Windows"
"Erected 1901 by Dr. and Mrs. Richard V. Mattison, in memory of their daughter, Esther Victoria. Medieval Gothic, with nave flanked by wide cloisters. Its exceptionally fine windows cause it to be called the "Church of the Beautiful Windows." Its chime will have 10 bells."
St. John's Protestant Episcopal Church Of Lower Merion
"The present handsome stone edifice, opened in 1901, adjoins the original church building opened in 1863. A beautiful rectory, the gift of Frederick McOwn, and a commodious parish house are parts of the substantial group. The rector is the Rev. H.A.F. Hoyt, D.D."
Our Lady Of Mercy (R.C.)
Broad St. and Susquehanna Ave.
"Norman Gothic with twin spires, one of the most imposing of all the uptown churches. Adjoining various buildings for parish work."
St. Mark's P.E. Church
Locust St., bet. 16th and 17th
"A pure Gothic Church of one of the richest, most active and most influential parrishes. Fine music. High service. Rev. A.G. Mortimer, D.D., rector."
Arch Street M.E. Church
Corner Broad Street
"Organized 1862. A leading Methodist Church. Has had many eminent pastors. Property worth about $300,000. Adjoins Masonic Temple."