Times Building
800-804 Chestnut Street
Built 1876
Wilson Brothers and Company (firm 1876-1902)





Left: From American Architect and Building News, October 20,1877. Middle and Right: From
Wilson Brothers Company. Catalogue of Work Executed, 1885.


 








“This building has just been completed for the Times Publishing Company, and has been planned with special reference to furnishing well-lighted airy rooms for first-class business offices; and the fact that all the rooms except those needed by the Times itself were well rented immediately upon the completeion of the building, is good evidence that this has been accomplished," reported The American Architect and Building News in 1877. The article continued, describing the construction as of “best Philadelphia pressed brick relieved with black brick, encaustic tile, and Ohio-stone wrought work.”

Built by the Wilson Brothers Company, a firm established during the 1876 Centennial Exposition by Joseph Wilson, his brother John Wilson, and Frederick Thorn, Wilson Bros. & Co were chiefly remembered for their institutional and commercial projects, although they designed all building types, including residences, churches, and resort hotels.

Located on the corner of 8th Street and Chestnut, the Times office building was built on the site of demolished commercial stores, H. Hooker & Co. Bookseller & Stationer, Murphy & Billmeyer’s House Furnishings, and W. J. Horstmann Fringes, Gimps, Buttons, etc.

Sources Cited:

 




For additional information and references, see the Philadelphia Architects and Buildings web site:  http://www.philadelphiabuildings.org/pab/app/pj_display_citations_holdings.cfm/47881