(1) Vacant Upper Floor 5th and Market Streets, c. 1961
(2) "Deteriorated" Commercial Buildings on 6th Street North of Market, c. 1961
(3) 1950 Chestnut Frontage
(4) 1957 Chestnut Frontage (same view as above)
The creation of Independence Mall was a result of an urban redevelopment plan, funded by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, and designed for the state.
The New National Constitution Center, opened in 2003, was established by the Constitution Heritage Act of 1988. Passed by Congress and signed by President Ronald Reagan, the Act created the Center as an organization and first established building the National Constitution Center as an important national goal.
The following 4 maps attempt to illustrate this evolution of urban space that demarcates the physcial planning and preservation process and efforts resulting in natural space and built fabric.
MAPS of FIGURE- GROUND spaces:
1939 - prior to the creation of INHP;
1954 - process of creating INHP;
1978 - completion of INHP and Independence Mall; and
2004 - present urban fabric of INHP, Independence Mall, and the National Constitution Center.
Independence National Historical Park:
Bounded by Third Street and Sixth Street to the east and west, including Christ Church and Corner park from Market Street to 2nd Street. Between Market and Walnut Street from North to South.
Betweem 5th and 6th Streets from east to west, and from Market to Race street, south to north.
National Constitution Center:
Between 5th and 6th Streets from east to west, and from Arch Street to Race Street, south to north.