8840 Germantown Avenue

 

(photo courtesy of Chesnut Hill Historical Society-John Naylor Collection- 1970.411)


DATE: ca. 1750 and 1801
ORIGINAL OWNER: Ulrich Sheetz
ARCHITECT: : Unknown
CONTRACTOR: : Unknown

Known as the “Rex House” the rear portion of this early Farm house is reputed to have been
constructed in the mid -18th century when Chestnut Hill was little more than a rural outpost to
Philadelphia and Germantown. The federal-style front portion of the dwelling was built in 1801.
Note the trolley tracks running down the middle of Germantown Avenue