1, 5, 7 West Chestnut Hill Avenue

 

(photo courtesy of Chesnut Hill Historical Society-John Naylor Collection- 1970.87)
(photo courtesy of Chesnut Hill Historical Society-John Naylor Collection- 1970.90)
(photo courtesy of Chesnut Hill Historical Society-John Naylor Collection- 1970.37)
(photo courtesy of Chesnut Hill Historical Society-John Naylor Collection- 1970.36)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

DATE: 1888-1889
ORIGINAL OWNER: Jacob S. Disston
ARCHITECT: James. H. Windrim
CONTRACTOR: Kemp & Garrison

Located on the northwest corner of Germantown and West Chestnut Hill Avenues.
This late Victorian dwelling with heavy stone and Tudor trim was constructed as a single house.
In 1905, the architects Duhring, Okie and Ziegler designed the large stone and stucco addition to
the west (left) end of the house, and in 1914, architect George Idell transformed the single house
into the three separate residences it remains today. In the background to the right is the roof of the
United Methodist Church of Chestnut Hill. In 1970, Dr. Munro W. Leslie purchased the property.