455 West Chestnut Hill Avenue “Binderton”

(photo courtsy of Chesnut Hill Historical Society-John Naylor Collection- 1970.62)


DATE: 1903
ORIGINAL OWNER: J. Wilmer Biddle
ARCHITECT: Cope & Stewardson
CONTRACTOR: William J. Patterson

This Flemish-styles dwelling of red brick with red stone trim and ornament is one of the most ornate of the “new
houses” in Chestnut hill. The photograph illustrates the stark character of the landscape at that time; comparing
this image to the scene today shows the dramatic changes in the community. Note that the tree on the right-hand
side of the image also appears in the photograph of 437 West Chestnut hill Avenue, so that the two houses stood
face to face across a broad expanse of lawn.