5 East Chestnut Hill Avenue

 

(photo courtsy of Chesnut Hill Historical Society-John Naylor Collection- 1970.56)


DATE: 1858-1861
ORIGINAL OWNER: Frederick F. Forepaugh
ARCHITECT: Unknown
CONTRACTOR: Unknown

One of the “first wave” of new houses constructed in Chestnut Hill after the railroad was opened in 1854, this
house signals the transition of Chestnut Hill from a farming community to a “suburb in the city.” The third
floor, with its ornamental stucco exterior, is reportedly an addition to the original house as is the bracketed cornice
supporting the wide overhand and hipped roof. The front porch has been removed.