8600 Seminole Avenue

(photo courtesy of Chesnut Hill Historical Society-John Naylor Collection- 1970.52)

(photo courtesy of Chesnut Hill Historical Society-John Naylor Collection- 1970.53)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


DATE: 1904-1905
ORIGINAL OWNER: Edgar W. Baird
ARCHITECT: Duhring, Okie & Ziegler
CONTRACTOR: William J. Patterson

This sprawling Colonial Revival dwelling reflected new, modernistic tasted for horizontal buildings and rational
design embodied in the classical revival styles. The estate was called “Caenawon.” In this photograph, St.
Martins Lane is at a level with the house, while today the road grade is much higher to accommodate the Highland
Avenue bridge of the SEPTA tracks, so that one looks down toward the house.