ORIGINAL OWNER: Charles A. Newhall
ARCHITECT: Wilson Eyre, Jr.
Known originally as “Wisteria,” this house is one of
several country houses in Chestnut Hill designed by
Wilson Eyre. The elaborate Flemish gable is the defining
characteristic of the house. The west end of the dwelling
has been enclosed and regularized, and the timbered
wing projecting toward the street was an addition
designed by Carl Ziegler in 1919 to what had been Eyre’s
principally linear composition. The primary façade
faces away from the street where the wisteria vines grow
and from which the house derives its name.