501 West Moreland Avenue

 

(photo couretsy of Chesnut Hill Historical Society-John Naylor Collection- 1970.118)


DATE: 1894
ORIGINAL OWNER: J. Levering Jones
ARCHITECT: George T. Pearson
CONTRACTOR: George Hearst

Called “Homecroft” or “Eastdene,” this brick Georgian
Revival dwelling with the large two-story portico was
influenced by nostalgia for and interest in ant-bellum
southern plantation homes that developed late in the
19th century. However, there were few examples of this
style in Chestnut Hill, largely due to the prevalence and
popularity of stone for construction as well as the
strength of the Philadelphia architectural traditions.