7811 Huron Street at Springfield Avenue

 

(photo couretsy of Chesnut Hill Historical Society-John Naylor Collection- 1970.117)

DATE: 1905-1906
ORIGINAL OWNER: Charles A. Porter, Jr.
ARCHITECT: Horace Trumbauer
CONTRACTOR: J.E. & A.L. Pennock

7811 Huron Street at Springfield Avenue. This is
considered one of the best examples of the Georgian
Revival architecture in Chestnut Hill. Horace Trumbauer
had only four commissions in the community, although he
is known for the large county houses and estates in
suburban Philadelphia, and the summer "cottages" in
Newport, RI, as well as the design for the Philadelphia
Museum of Art which came out of his office. House to
rear right torn down in 1912. Original owner was Charles
A. Porter, Jr. Later owners were Post, Gammon and Calvert
Hall in 1970. Contractor was J. E. & A. L. Pennock.