8440 St. Martin 's Lane

 

(photo couretsy of Chesnut Hill Historical Society-John Naylor Collection- 1970.114)

8440 St. Martins Lane
DATE: 1902-1903
ORIGINAL OWNER: Joseph Sill Clark
ARCHITECT: Clarence C. Zantzinger
CONTRACTOR: William B. Dougherty

“Kates Hall” is one of those little known Chestnut Hill
treasures, tucked into the edge of the Wissahickon, away
from the street, and the public’s view. Like 8811
Towanda Street, this house under went a radical
transformation of style (in 1935), converting it from an
Italian-Renaissance palazzo as seen in this photograph to
a restrained neo-Georgian country home.