8811 Towanda Street

 

(photo couretsy of Chesnut Hill Historical Society-John Naylor Collection- 1970.110)


DATE: 1894
ORIGINAL OWNER:
ARCHITECT:
CONTRACTOR:

8811 Towanda Street. Built 1894. This stuccoed stone
Colonial Revival dwelling was greatly influenced by the
nation's adoration for George Washington in the late 19th
century. The two-story portico with Chinese fret-work
railing (on left side of the house), roof dormers, cupola
and end porches were "borrowed" from Washington's Virginia
home, Mt. Vernon. Architect Edmund Gilchrist radically
altered the house in 1922, converting it into the
Mediterranean-style home known today.