Site of 159 Bethlehem Pike

 

(photo couretsy of Chesnut Hill Historical Society-John Naylor Collection- 1970.104 and 1970.105)


DATE:
ORIGINAL OWNER: Edwin N. Benson, Sr.
ARCHITECT:
CONTRACTOR:

Site of 159 Bethlehem Pike. Demolished. "Lynnewood Hall" built by Edwin N. Benson, Sr. (married to Ida Wray) on the site of the former Benson house which burned. View from Bethlehem Pike - shows north elevation. Built as a summer home with no heat, it had approximately 42 rooms. Stone driveway entry posts still exist on Bethlehem Pike. The house was located where a newer house exists in 2004 numbered as 159 Bethlehem Pike, where Ignat Solzhenitsyn lives now. In the 1919 Social Register the address of Lynnewood Hall was given as 155 Bethehem Same building as Naylor #83 (1970.105).