124 West Chestnut Hill Avenue

 

(photo courtesy of Chesnut Hill Historical Society-John Naylor Collection: 1970..96, 1970.97, 1970.120)
(photo courtesy of Chesnut Hill Historical Society-John Naylor Collection: 1970.139, 1970.140)

 

DATE: 1895
ORIGINAL OWNER: Edward V. Douglas
ARCHITECT: Mantle Fielding
CONTRACTOR: William J. Gruhler

This stone Georgian Revival dwelling is characteristic of many homes that were being constructed in Chestnut
Hill late in the 19th century and early in the 20th-century. The complexity of the design marks it as having been
heavily influenced by the preceding Victorian era: the diversity of materials, juxtaposition of masses and
shapes, and the proportions of the ornament bespeak a “loose interpretation” of colonial forms. The flat
“deck” in the center of the roof, topped by a balustrade, is a remembrance of the New England “widow’s walk.”