7 Caryl Lane

 

(photo courtesy of Chesnut Hill Historical Society-John Naylor Collection: 1970.80, 1970.81)


DATE: 1905
ORIGINAL OWNER: Volkmar family
ARCHITECT: T.P. Chandler
CONTRACTOR: Unknown

"Stonecliff" Property can be seen from west side of Norwood Avenue.
This house stood on Caryl Lane, which is not shown on the city map.
The Volkmar family sold it to Richard Marton in 1969. This house was
partially demolished. The original house burnt in the 1920s. A new
house with a mansard roof was built on top of the massive stone walls.
The addition seen in the center of the photograph was not there in 1889,
according to the Wells & Hope photo at the Free Library's Print &
Picture Department. George C. Thomas moved from his house named
Greystock in Wyndmoor on Evergreen Avenue to Stonecliff and
renamed Stonecliff Greystock.

Note: See Hotchkin, p. 464, for a lengthy description.