9002 Crefeld Street

 

(photo courtesy of Chesnut Hill Historical Society-John Naylor Collection: 1970.94, 1970.95, 1970.138)


DATE: late 19th century (Demolished)
ORIGINAL OWNER: M. Carey Lea
ARCHITECT: Unknown
CONTRACTOR: Unknown

First owner appearing on 1889, 1895 & 1899 atlases is M. Carey Lea. The Thayer family purchased the residence
between 1899 and 1906. Russell and Mary Dixon Thayer were husband and wife with son Russell Thayer, Jr.,
who was treasurer of General Coal Co. (from "Who's Who in Philadelphia, 1926"). The Eleanor Widener Dixon estate
(built by Tilden, Register and Pepper in 1929-30), later owned by Temple University, is now located on the site
on Crefeld Street near Laughlin Lane. The Office of Horace Trumbauer did later alterations.

Note: demolished in 1926 (see demolition permit in National Register file).
Listed as residence of "R. Thayer". [Russell] on Borie list. Mary D. Thayer on atlases.