455 West Chestnut Hill Avenue “Binderton”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

(photo courtesy of Chestnut Hill Historical Society-John Naylor Collection: 1970.62)


DATE: 1903
ORIGINAL OWNER: J. Wilmer Biddle
ARCHITECT: Cope & Stewardson
CONTRACTOR: William J. Patterson

This Flemish-styles dwelling of red brick with red stone trim and ornament is one
of the most ornate of the “new houses” in Chestnut hill. The photograph illustrates
the stark character of the landscape at that time; comparing this image to the scene
today shows the dramatic changes in the community. Note that the tree on the right-hand
side of the image also appears in the photograph of 437 West Chestnut hill Avenue, so
that the two houses stood face to face across a broad expanse of lawn.