ORIGINAL OWNER: Charles A. Newhall
ARCHITECT: Wilson Eyre, Jr.
Known originally as “Wisteria,” this house is one of several country houses in
Chestnut Hill designed by Wilson Eyre. The elaborate Flemish gable is the defining
characteristic of the house. The west end of the dwelling has been enclosed and
regularized, and the timbered wing projecting toward the street was an addition
designed by Carl Ziegler in 1919 to what had been Eyre’s principally linear
composition. The primary façade faces away from the street where the wisteria
vines grow and from which the house derives its name.