401 – 409 East Evergreen Avenue

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

(photo courtesy of Chestnut Hill Historical Society-John Naylor Collection: 1970.88)


DATE: 1883
ORIGINAL OWNER: Charles Potter
ARCHITECT: Wilson Eyre, Jr.
CONTRACTOR: Unknown

Despite over 11 alterations to this award-winning house since its construction, “Anglecot” appears little changed
today from when John Samuel Naylor knew it. The house was featured in many architectural publications at
the time of its construction, heralded as innovative in both form, plan, and mix of materials. However, by the time
Naylor photographed the house, taste had shifted to a more academically correct interpretation of classical and colonial
forms. “Anglecot” was a nursing home in the 1970s. Now it is divided into condominiums.