8630-8640 Germantown & Rex Avenues

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

(photo courtesy of Chestnut Hill Historical Society-John Naylor Collection: 1970.91)


DATE: ca. 1855- 1861 (Demolished)
ORIGINAL OWNER: Caleb Cope
ARCHITECT: Unknown
CONTRACTOR: Unknown

This three-story Italianate stone dwelling with low hipped roof surmounted by an octagonal copula,
broad one-story porch, and center bay window on the second floor is characteristic of many summer
homes constructed in Chestnut Hill in the decades prior to and following the opening of the railroad
into the community in 1854. These square, three-story buildings were scattered along Germantown
Avenue, and could be found on Summit Street, East Chestnut Hill Avenue, Rex Avenue, and
Bethlehem Pike. Stores now occupy the site. The church pictured on the right was Presbyterian –
it is now Seventh Day Adventist.